CCHS Grandparents Day tradition proves a big success

Photo by Mrs. Debby Rosenberger

Grandparents and their grandchildren gather around tables to enjoy Mass and lunch together.

Celine Aubry-Dumand, Editor-in-Chief

Cathedral Catholic High School hosted its annual Grandparents Day celebration on Monday, following a full week of Thanksgiving break.

Every year, CCHS welcomes the grandparents of freshman and senior students in a tradition that students look forward to at the beginning and the end of their high school careers. This year was no different, with CCHS grandchildren meeting their grandparents outside the Claver Center gym, where they joined together to celebrate Mass, enjoy lunch and partake in a ceremony honoring their grandparents.

Father Mike opened the Mass thanking Cathedral grandparents for coming together to celebrate and dine with their grandchildren. During the homily, he told the audience how much grandparents truly sacrifice for their grandchildren and the appreciation their grandchildren have for them in return.

Fr. Mike shared a letter written by a third grader to his grandparents, saying how much he loved them for giving him time, food, love and attention.

Student Julia Way ‘16 shared her own story about her relationship with her grandparents, her love for them, and their love for her and her family.

“I wanted to share with everyone how my grandparents have inspired me,” Way said. “They’ve taught me that with hard work, passion, faith and a lot of love, I can have anything or be anyone in this world. My grandparents are huge blessings, and I’m just glad I got to share that with everyone.”

Katherine Firsching ‘16, a student at CCHS who attended Grandparents Day with her grandmother, said, “I loved hanging out with my grandma as well as watching her make best friends with everyone at our table.”

For the grandparents, Mass and lunch with their grandchildren was a perfect way to spend part of their day.

“It was delightful and nostalgic, being with my granddaughter for Mass and lunch,” Firsching’s grandmother, Mrs. Rosie Stepner, said. “The almost four years have zoomed by since the same event freshman year. [Grandparents Day] was well organized and the music provided by Cathedral Catholic musicians and choir was, as always, impressive.”

At the end of Mass, students walked to the Green Room to pick up one of three lunch selections for their grandparents and themselves. Following lunch and conversation among students and their guests, CCHS President Mr. Stevan Laaperi spoke about the meaning of Grandparents Day at our school, and the endless love and support grandparents have for their grandchildren. Finally, he thanked everyone for attending.

Grandparents Day offers CCHS students a wonderful opportunity to spend high-quality time with their grandparents at school and show appreciation for the love and support they provide. Grandparents Day would not be possible without the support of family, friends and CCHS, who organizes the event.