CCHS students blossom at mass for the “Little Flower”

“The Little Flower” graced CCHS during all-school liturgy this week.

Monica Inoue, Spiritual Life Editor

Students celebrated St. Thérèse of Lisieux’s feast day with their second all-school Mass in the Cathedral Catholic High School gym on October 1.

“[My Campus Ministry class] learned a lot about St. Thérèse and her community,” liturgy Campus Minister Victoria Renteria said. “I would like our school to unite as a community [during Mass].”

The Mass honoring St. Thérèse came at an important time, encouraging students to continue to build and foster their relationships early in the school year. St. Thérèse also serves as an example of living a life of greatness and simplicity, reflecting God and His Will in everyday life.

The majority of the Mass focused on St. Thérèse and her strong relationship with God and others. She loved people and God in the simplest ways. In his homily, Father Martin Latiff gave background about St. Thérèse and her simply ways. He mentioned that Thérèse, who is popularly known as “The Little Flower of Jesus,” became a cloistered Carmelite nun at the age of 15. Strong focal points in her life included her religious community and relationship with Christ.

“If we can become more like [Christ like St. Therese has], we can become more perfect and content with the graces [God has given us]” Fr. Martin said in his homily.

Although she died at the young age of 24 from tuberculosis, St. Thérèse is still a popular saint, often known for her spiritual writings. Pope John Paul II declared her the youngest Doctor of the Church, and Pope Pius X said “[she] is the greatest saint of modern times.”

Along with St. Joseph, St. Thérèse is the patroness of CCHS. The statue in the prayer garden and school chapel were dedicated in her name 10 years ago. St. Thérèse serves as an influential saint and role model for students and the CCHS campus.

In honor of St. Thérèse, the students hosted the Mass.

“[My Campus Ministry class] has been talking a lot about our roles, especially on how to distribute the Eucharist,” Renteria said. “We have been learning how to serve, and we have been watching training videos made by last year’s liturgy Campus Ministers to prepare for our different roles.”

Schola Campus Ministers prepared the songs and music for the Mass, while the liturgy Campus Ministers set up most of the Mass. The campus ministers’ roles vary from setting up the environment, ushering people, alter serving, lecturing, and distributing Communion.

“[Singing] helps you immerse yourself in the Mass,” Schola Campus Minister Dominique Shepherd said. “By singing, we are also praying.”

Singing was one of the little ways students were able to participate in Mass and strengthen their relationship with God. While most students may not have had an official role in setting up the Mass, students were highly encouraged to still participate in the celebration of St. Thérèse’s feast day. Students could have participated in the Mass through both song and prayer, which helped build up their spiritual community.