Bright new tables appear on the Cathedral campus

Mitch Sigesmund, Staff Writer

Upon walking onto the quad after returning from Christmas break, it would have been difficult to miss an unfamiliar sight. The quad was sprinkled with shiny, new tables with red and yellow umbrellas.

Many rumors have arisen since the placement of the tables. One outstanding rumor was that administration had taken money from ASB’s current budget to pay for the tables. Contrary to popular belief, that rumor was false, as ASB money for the 2014-15 school year has neot been used in any way regarding the purchasing of the new tables.

Mr. Steven Laaperi, Cathedral Catholic High School’s President, said, “I met with ASB to discuss what we should do with the excess money that has accrued from years past. It was evident that the previous tables were becoming a potential safety hazard, and I had already purchased the tables with money from our budget. I just wanted ASB to help with the purchase of additional tables.”

Mr. Laaperi continued to say, “ASB thought it was a good idea, but they also wanted to see what other needs students have.” This is certainly true, as according to Senior and ASB Commissioner of Spirit Leen Awad, “ASB definitely wants the best for our students. We even took a survey to see what the students want.”

“The people who do put in the tables and are in charge of the physical aspect of other great projects around the campus are the maintenance crew,” said Mr. Laaperi.

“Maintenance does most of its big projects for the school over summer and winter breaks,” said Mr. Sal Aiello, the director of facilities at Cathedral. Because of this, people may not notice or even appreciate these staff members and all the work they do.

“We [Mr. Laaperi and Mr. Deely along with other faculty members] had noticed many students sitting on the ground, looking uncomfortable…We also had noticed the old tables were becoming a potential safety hazard,” said Mr. Aiello. “We were told the funds [necessary to purchase the tables] were there, so we jumped on the opportunity to provide the students with seating.”

“The tables were purchased for $750 each and totaled $1000 with the inclusion of the umbrella,” said Ms. Carolyn Sturz, Cathedral’s Business Manager. “We decided to replace many of the tables and add additional tables because it was evident the students needed seating.”

“The tables are useful as they make it easy to find a place to sit at lunch,” said sophomore Paul LaCosta. But the opinions were not entirely positive. “The tables make our school look like McDonald’s,” said sophomore Maricarmen Burgos.

Whether or not the tables are looked upon favorably, they are the new addition to our campus, and they are here to stay. They were placed there by the maintenance crew, and as Mr. Aiello said, they were put in for one reason, and one reason only: “…for the betterment of our students.”