Twenty-six new courses added to Cathedral’s curriculum

Students work on a project in the new STEAM course.

Monica Inoue, Staff Writer

This year, twenty-six new courses from Cathedral Catholic High School were submitted to the UC system. Some of the new classes were online courses offered over the summer, including World History, U.S. History, Economics, Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, English 1, English 2, and English 3.

The newly implemented seven-period schedule created more opportunities for students to take electives, which added more variety. The administration originally expected students to take more core classes; however “a majority of the students went for the elective classes,” said Mrs. Sharon Rubalcava, director of curriculum. Not all students take their elective courses during the 7th period, but they might take a core course instead, leaving more room for a new class during another period. With a more flexible schedule for elective classes, sophomores and juniors seemed to take most advantage of the new classes.

The different departments selected some of the new courses offered, and ideas initially came from the faculty. “The departments were asked if they could choose anything they were interested in as an elective class,” said Mrs. Rubalcava. “Since the teachers authored the class, they were eager to teach something different or close to their passion.”

Some of the elective classes created new positions for new teachers that have specialties and backgrounds in a particular field. Some of the new teachers and courses include Mr. Hare’s AP Computer Science class, Ms. Scarff’s digital imaging class, Mr. Caro’s AP Psychology class, and Ms. Gustafson’s Speech 2/Debate class.

The two most popular new classes are AP Psychology and STEAM.

“AP Psychology has been asked to be on the campus for four to five years,” said Mrs. Rubalcava. The students have shown a major interest in psychology. AP Psychology introduces students to the psychological behavior of humans and animals. More advanced than regular Psychology, this class goes in-depth in the psychological studies that prepare students for the AP exam at the end of the year.

Mr. Wallace’s introduction to STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) is the first UC-approved STEAM class ever. Other schools have a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) program; however, Mr. Wallace has added an art element to Cathedral Catholic’s course, giving the class a more creative appeal. Students have shown an interest in a program like STEAM originally with the robotics club. With a full class period and a hands-on project approach, the students learn about basic mechanical concepts, electrical engineering, computer programs, and real-world applications. The students can accomplish more in a whole class period, and as Mrs. Rubalcava said, ” A class during the day is more interesting than just a club.”

Other popular courses include Earth Science and Study Hall. Earth Science is a popular course among the freshman class. Earth science is a physical science that is categorized as a “g” elective credit for UC/CSU entrance. Students learn about the composition of the earth’s atmosphere, hydrosphere, and geosphere. Also, for someone not quite ready for Chemistry or Biology, earth science can help “ease a student into a lab science,” said Mrs. Rubalcava.

Study Hall is a semester course for students to quietly study and do their work during the day. Over 400 students are enrolled in this course. This course counts as an elective and is taken as a Pass/Fail class.

Some of the other new courses offered include Creative Writing 2, Mythology, Foundations of Aquatics/Lifeguarding Training, Weight Training, and Boot Camp. There are also more art and science AP classes available to students, as well as different and special programs reaching out to certain students and student mentors like Options Aide.

For more information about the new courses, check out CCHS’s curriculum guide  here.