Dons alumni, students dash through 5k Run/Walk

Sean Yeatts, Features Editor

With less than a month before the end of the 2013-2014 school year, Cathedral Catholic High School hosted the Dons 5k Run/Walk, commonly known as the Dons Dash, and a celebratory carnival following the race. This year’s run was held almost exclusively on school grounds, beginning at the stadium field, down to the lower field, through the back parking lot, and out past the junior parking lot to the dirt trail that connects under Del Mar Heights Rd. The run was open to any and all who wished to participate – medals were distributed accordingly for each age group.

This year, the Dons Alumni Association partnered with the Cathedral Action Team, a club of students who volunteer in the community, to bring CCHS its first ever annual 5k. The Action Team is headed by Ms. Dawn Brannman, who is assisted by Tracy Hoffman. The Alumni Association, on the other hand, consists of 23 board members that represent a wide range of years. The Dons Alumni Association “Supports the fifty-plus years of Dons Alumni by hosting events such as the Dons Dash, Alumni Golf Tournament, Career Day, Reunions, and a Parochial League preseason Football Tournament,” said Mr. Sean Doyle, Director of Institutional Advancement and Alumni.

The proceeds raised from these various events help to support current CCHS students – the Association most recently purchased a new van for transporting students.

Of these alumni, many have grown to become notable figures: Cameron Crowe, a former Uni grad, now creates movies; Luke Walton is in the NBA; Phil Mickelson is a professional Gold player; Jerry Trainor is a renowned actor; Carlos Quentin recently became a member of the San Diego Padres baseball team. These alumni work intently with the school, contributing financial aid especially towards tuition assistance programs.

Looking ahead towards future plans for the Association, Mr. Doyle said, “We host the career day for seniors, which we hope to bring to the juniors as well. We are hoping to begin an internship program for students looking at different careers.”

“They had a great experience. Many of us take high school for granted, but it is one of the fondest times to be had growing up. The teachers, coaches, administrators, and staff help mold you into the person you will become. [The alumni] want current and future students to be able to have the same great experience,” said Mr. Doyle, elaborating on exactly why so many alumni choose to give back to their former school. “It’s a great feeling to give back to the school that gave you so much.”

The alumni have reunions in ten year increments, anticipated to shorten to five years. The Association will be hosting the 1964, 1984, and 1994 reunions on campus this summer.

Visit the CCHS Dons ALUMNI PAGE  for more information on any of the board members.