Freshman and sophomores can expect iPads in 2012

Student at the Marymont School of New York uses school-issued iPad

Cathedral Catholic will be debuting its first-ever program to incorporate iPads into the school curriculum forthe 2012-2013 school year.  While most of the details are still being figured out by administration, it has been confirmed that every single class is planned to use the iPads in some way or another.

Next year is planned to be a trial year, where only a few select classes will be able to try out the iPads.  The administration is still unsure exactly how – whether through higher yearly tuition or otherwise – students will have to pay for this new technological addition to the school, though it will be considerably less than the commercial price, according to Mr. Sean Doyle, Cathedral’s Director of Technology.  The iPads will be leased out to students and used much like the mobile lab of Mac laptops is currently used, but much more often.  The specific use of the iPads, of course, will depend on the class.

Textbooks are planned to be given up completely, as “ebooks”, online resources, and an unbelievable amount of websites that allow teachers to create their own textbooks for free well be uesd.  The iPads given to students will already have pre-approved applications for students to use, so students will not have to purchase more applications later on.

Students will also be able to use online storage websites, such as Microsoft’s Live@Edu(http://www.microsoft.com/liveatedu/free-email-accounts.aspx) and Apple’s MobileMe (http://www.me.com ) to save documents and other important files to use in other classes or at home, according to Mr. Doyle.

As previously mentioned, nothing in completely set in stone, but students are assured that they need not worry over technical problems.  The iPads will be covered by Apple Care insurance for three years, and all issues that may be expected should be covered.

This significant change to the curriculum was motivated by the academic performance improvements of students at both Marymount School in New York (see previous El Cid article by Alexis Jammo) and a few classes here at Cathedral Catholic that have tested the new technology in the classroom.

Mrs. Doina Harrison, CCHS Spanish teacher, has seen significant improvements in her Spanish 4 students’ work when they were allowed to use any technology they wanted  in class –  from iPhones and iPads to regular laptops  –  to do research for a project.

“Having this technology in the classroom is a great way to engage the students better, especially through project-based work,” said Mrs. Harrison.  “The work of the students improved 25% to 30%.  It was much more well thought out and in-depth.  It keeps the students responsible for their own learning, and really individualizes the experience.”

Although this may seem like a sudden decision, the idea to have iPads in the classroom has been around since the “Big 6” and mapping was introduced, to Cathedral a few years ago.  As technology surges forward in advancement, the school wants to keep up in order to stay up-to-date for the benefit of the student body.

As Mrs. Harrison said, “It’s time to join the 21st century.  We’re never going to be ready for this, since technology is changing constantly, so we should just go with it now.  With all this technology at our fingertips, why not use it?”

View Comments (4)

• J

John FischerApr 24, 2011 at 12:34 PM

And regarding Danielle’s comment, the iPad is designed to be sleek and light, only weighing 1.35 pounds. It would be a smaller, faster, lighter, less-hassle version of the mobile labs already at school (not that the mobile labs would not still be useful for some things the iPad can’t do). And think of all the eBooks that can be accessed in one place on the iPad. There would be no need to fill your backpack with 40 pounds of books and break your back. In English classes, it would be possible to read a much greater variety of literature as you could have your novels at home and electronic copies of novels and short stories in class. Imagine how that would expand learning as opposed to holding it back.

Reply
  • M

Milan BotteMar 30, 2011 at 11:26 AM

IPads for the seniors next year?

I think so.

Reply
  • D

Danielle MillerMar 28, 2011 at 5:13 PM

“I just can’t help thinking what a real shaking up it would give people, if, all of a sudden, there were no new books, new plays, new histories, new poems…”(Kurt Vonnegut)
    I would rant a bunch about how the transition from paper to ebooks is normal, but deteriorating, but I really don’t want the people who support their shiny iPads to be throwing them at me for ranting. I’d rather have them throw the flimsy, short paperbacks they’d be skimming instead of 5lb metal objects that they’re actually using to go on the internet.
    In concern of what’s going to be thrown at you: iPads>books
    In concern of which is better for brain activity: books>iPads

Reply
  • M

Matt WeinbergerMar 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Lets get these for the seniors next year!

Reply