Student’s personal experience inspires club creation

Lena Roccoforte ’18 works to spread MS awareness, inspired by personal experience with her father.

Megan Faraimo, Staff Writer

Like anyone else, Lena Roccoforte ‘18 has her own story. It is what she made out of her story that makes her unique.

On her first birthday, Roccoforte’s father had his first seizure. Soon after, he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS.)

According to Mayo Clinic, MS is a disease in which the immune system eats away at the protective covering of nerves. There are more than 200,000 cases in the U.S. each year.

Roccoforte’s father eventually had to use a wheelchair, which he has used for eight years now. Her experience with her father has made Roccoforte a strong person and an inspiring friend to her counterparts.

“I learned to be very responsible and had to grow up just a little quicker than most kids,” Roccoforte said.

Besides spurring inner growth and maturity, Roccoforte’s father’s diagnosis inspired her to take action.

Early this year, she founded the MS Fight Club at Cathedral Catholic High School. The main goal of the club is to raise MS awareness and get people involved. With 89 club members in its first year, this goal has arguably already been achieved.

“Living with a family member that has an illness shows you that you cannot take your life for granted and makes you enjoy every second of every day,” Roccoforte said.

As Roccoforte grew up, her situation impacted her life in a variety of ways. In turn, she has impacted the lives of students on campus for the better.

“Lena has a heart of gold,” Reece Allen ‘18, MS Flight Club member, said. “I’m thankful that she shares her story with others. It’s so inspiring. Her story has definitely impacted my life. Now I try to appreciate life all the time.”