The Week in Pictures August 28, 2017 – September 1, 2017

Lauren Boyer, News Editor

At a time when many Americans are battling natural disasters, the CCHS community came together last week at the Honor Bowl to support not only those citizens in Mother Nature’s destructive path, but also fallen U.S. soldiers who have made the ultimate sacrifice preserving American ideals and freedoms. In a moving ceremony before the season’s first home football game, the Marines reenacted the ritual performed by soldiers when one of their comrades dies in battle. The ceremony involves sticking the fallen soldier’s bayonet into the ground with his or her helmet resting on the butt of the rifle and the combat boots in front of the gun. Military veterans and Gold Star families participated in the ceremony, which was performed for the first time ever at a high school football game. Besides remembering this country’s real heroes, the CCHS community also raised last week nearly $4,100 to benefit needy Catholic elementary schools destroyed in the wake of Hurricane Harvey. Indeed, the Dons learned many valuable lessons last week both in and out of the classroom.

Trucks commemorating veterans were parked last weekend at CCHS for the Honor Bowl. as host school for the football games, the Dons community sought to inform the community about the sacrifices veterans and soldiers make preserving this country's freedoms. Photo by Savannah Dupper