Juniors “Build the Kingdom,” strengthen spiritual lives on retreat

Here%2C+the+juniors+in+the+January+retreat+sit+and+reflect+to+music+played+by+Pat+Villa+

Here, the juniors in the January retreat sit and reflect to music played by Pat Villa

Sarah Scherer, Staff Writer

On two separate dates (Nov. 10th and Jan. 21st), over one-hundred members of the Class of 2016 headed north as they embarked on a three-day spiritual journey centered on the theme, “Building the Kingdom.” According to CCHS Spiritual Director Father Martin Latiff, MC, “They [the juniors] were able to be in an environment that is more spiritual,” he said.

Junior Retreat was held in the Cuyamaca Mountains at Whispering Winds Catholic Camp and Conference Center. “It was beautiful up there. We had great weather, and walking back to the cabins at night was super peaceful,” said junior Sophia Pacheco.

Many juniors went on retreat hoping to strengthen their relationships – both with their fellow classmates, and with God. However, expectations varied. “My expectations were pretty low. I had no idea what it was gonna be – I expected a few days off of school, just chillin’ with friends,” said junior Alyssa Connolly. Kianna Shlemon said she was told that junior retreat would be an “unforgettable experience.”

The senior Campus Ministers were set on delivering a retreat that was above and beyond any prior expectations. “Our whole class began planning junior retreat two months in advance. We really put in a lot of time and preparation to make sure that retreat would be well planned and beneficial for the juniors,” said senior Campus Minister, Christina Johnson.

Their efforts did not go under-appreciated. “All of the talks were amazing. The activities, the ministers, everything. I had the experience of a lifetime with my classmates, and was a weekend that I will always remember,” said junior Jonathan Kim. Alyssa Connolly admitted she was pleasantly surprised by retreat, and her expectations were indeed exceeded.

The Campus Ministers definitely marked retreat a success: “I think I can speak on behalf of all the Campus Ministers when I say that junior retreat was better than we could’ve ever asked for. The juniors really brought down the walls around their hearts and let Christ move through them,” said Christina.

Many juniors marked “Adoration” as their favorite part of retreat, as it deepened their relationship with Christ and bonded them with their fellow classmates. “My favorite memory would have to be Adoration because it was such an uplifting experience, and I feel that in that time, we really connected as a class and were there for each other to comfort each other,” said junior Leilani Andrada. Junior Jacob Lira was promised that during adoration, “you will cry,” he said.

Adoration is a sign of devotion to and worship of Jesus Christ, who is the present Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity under the appearance of the consecrated host. When asked for specifics about retreat events and activities, Campus Ministers were reluctant to share. Keeping surprises enhances the experience for the juniors.

However, Christina was willing to comment on adoration: “Its a time where nothing matters but the Lord, and it is apparent that He reigns over all our problems, insecurities, friendships, and trials. In a nutshell, Adoration is so raw and real, and Christ’s peace becomes something we experience rather than just talk about,” she said. Describing the atmosphere during adoration, Jacob Lira said, “When you’re there in the moment, I don’t know… The Holy Spirit just punches you, and it hurts!”

The juniors reiterated that, thanks to retreat, they made connections with people they never would have guessed. “The more we know about a person, the more we come to love them. And it’s the same with God,” said Father Martin.

As they worked alongside each other to strengthen their spiritual lives, the juniors allowed themselves to be vulnerable. Opening up to each other cultivated trust amongst the classmates, and truly brought them together in a unique and wonderful way.

“I feel much more bonded to all of my junior friends that were on retreat because now I understand their struggles and what they’re going through. I gained much more respect for all of them which allowed me to grow closer as well,” said junior Reid Johnson.

Returning from retreat, the juniors reflected on their changed perspective both inwardly and outwardly. “I guess you’re more conscious about how you affect other people… There were a lot of stories that people told, and I had no idea they were going through those things,” said junior Maxine Sakai. Alyssa Connolly credits retreat for her newfound sense of self. Father Martin, having witnessed the juniors during retreat, said, “Anyone who wants to grow in their relationship with Christ will have that opportunity on retreat.”