Dons comeback falls short

Dons+guard+Alex+Wade+%E2%80%9821+pulls+up+from+the+three-point-line+during+the+third+quarter+in+the+Holy+War+between+Cathedral+Catholic+High+School+and+Saint+Augustine+High+School.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Dons comeback falls short

Dons guard Alex Wade ‘21 pulls up from the three-point-line during the third quarter in the Holy War between Cathedral Catholic High School and Saint Augustine High School.

Photo by Alex Woodmansee

Photo by Alex Woodmansee

Photo by Alex Woodmansee

Hundreds of fans filled the Claver Center yesterday as the Cathedral Catholic High School Dons varsity basketball team took on its rival the Saint Augustine High School Saints in the Holy War.

SAHS (17-4) (6-0) stayed perfect in league play as it defeated CCHS (14-8) (4-2) 62-55.

In the first quarter, SAHS set the tone with a full court press, disabling the Dons offense to get into a groove.

The early attack from Saintsmen Chibuzo Agbo ‘20 and Luke Haupt ‘20 helped the Saints finish the first quarter with a 17-11 advantage.

The Saints steady defense forced CCHS to take low percentage shots from the field.

“In the first quarter we struggled getting quality shots and our ball movement wasn’t great,” CCHS guard Dominic Muncey ‘21 said. “We also didn’t convert some easy shots, which ended up hurting us in the end.”

The Saints defense and offense was clicking in the second quarter, outscoring the Dons 18-8.

SAHS maintained a 35-19 lead as the teams went into the half.

CCHS believed there was a lot more basketball to be played.

“We knew we needed to keep chipping away and execute offensively in the second half,” CCHS guard Scotty Prunty ‘20 said.

The Dons made adjustments to its defense as the third quarter began.

“We matched up with them in a man-to-man defense in the second half to see if we could change the tempo of the game,” Prunty said.

The Dons went on to outscore the Saints 13-10 in the third quarter, but still trailed 45-32 going into the final quarter.

As the final eight minutes of play were underway, the Dons began to hit its stride.

CCHS employed a full court press, which lead to turnovers and easy baskets for the Dons.

Good foul shooting from SAHS kept the pressure on CCHS for each of its offensive possessions.

A fast break slam dunk from Haupt and two made free throws from Agbo sealed the deal for SAHS as it went home winners 62-55.

“The end result was too little and too late,” Prunty said.

CCHS center Obinna Anyanwu ‘21 led the Dons with 18 points.

CCHS believes it needs to perform better in a couple offensive categories before its next matchup with SAHS.

“We could have shot the ball better from three and we could have taken our time to get a better shot,” CCHS player James Behmer ‘21said.

SAHS stalwarts Haupt and Agbo combined for 44 points to lead the Saintsmen.

CCHS is excited for another chance in its next meeting.

“We are definitely looking forward to playing them at their home court to get our revenge,” Muncey said.

The Dons and Saints meet again on Feb. 8 at The Pit on the campus of SAHS.

SAHS, currently ranked first in San Diego County and 47 in the nation.

The Dons play Junipero Serra High School next Tuesday at 5:15 p.m. at the Claver Center.

About the Writer
Shea Linnehan, Assistant Sports Editor

As Assistant Sports Editor for Cathedral Catholic High School’s student newspaper, El Cid, I look forward to working with my fellow students who have...