Holy Hoops Part III: Dons win again

Arcelita Martin, Staff Writer

The Cathedral Catholic High School varsity boys basketball team (11-1) triumphed 55-43 against Saint Augustine High School (10-2) for the third time this season last Friday at the Claver Center.

At 4:30 p.m., CCHS students camped outside the school’s gymnasium determined to earn front row seats to the CIF Open Division Semi-Final basketball game.

With doors opening at 5:30 p.m., students filed into the Claver Center for the 7:00 p.m. tip off and the arrival of the SAHS Pit.

SAHS led the first quarter 7-1, until CCHS rallied to close the quarter at 15-7, putting SAHS behind and never recovering.

The first half of the game was notably challenging for both teams, each squad spending significant time searching for the ball as it repeatedly slipped from the players’ grasp.

Ending the first half 24-17, CCHS kept ahead in a low scoring, yet action-packed game.

Entering the third quarter, a physical game continued with fouls and aggressive plays. Each team scored 13 points to finish at 37-30.

For CCHS, Brandon Mccoy ’17 scored 22 points and grabbed 15 rebounds. Teammate Cameron Moore ’16 tallied 18 points, 11 rebounds, six assists and five steals.

The contest held special significance for Reid Johnson ’16, who played SAHS three times his freshman season.

“Being able to recreate the competitor season with these teammates has been incredible,” Johnson said.

Johnson finished with six points.

Taeshon Cherry ’18 led SAHS with 18 points and seven rebounds.

“I thought we played a solid game,” SAHS Guard, JT Cox ’17 said, “But at times, we played far below our potential.”

CCHS advanced to the CIF finals Saturday, where they came up short 80-63 versus Foothills Christian High School at the Jenny Craig Pavilion Center on the campus of the University of San Diego.

CCHS is seeded number seven in the CIF SoCal Regional Open Division, and the team will travel to play number two Sierra Canyon High School Friday at 7 p.m.