Lady Dons Varsity field hockey done setting goals, excited to score them

Michaela Jacobs, Staff Writer

Cathedral Catholic High School’s Varsity field hockey team began their season with successful tryouts, sweltering summer practices, and team bonding, preparing the team for the upcoming season.

“We don’t set goals, we score them,” Varsity team captain Emma Hall said.

“Our biggest rivals this season are La Jolla, Torrey Pines and Serra,” Head Coach Ms. Mary Jo Griswold said.

The girls have a home game against La Jolla Sept. 16 at 3:30 p.m. on the lower field. They take on their biggest rival, Torrey Pines, Oct. 17 at 3:30 p.m. on the lower field.

With the change in league rules, the team has the opportunity to play teams throughout the county.

The top eight teams will advance to compete at the end of league. CCHS placed sixth last year, but this year the team is hoping to pull through and compete in the top eight, and advance to win league.

“I plan on bringing high energy, lots of spirit, and fresh legs to the team this year,” freshman Devin Gaasch, one of four freshman athletes on the Varsity field hockey team this year, said. All four freshman plan on bringing unique and exciting aspects to the team this season.

The biggest obstacles to overcome this season for the team include “getting the new players up to game speed,” Griswold said. Practicing, strategizing, and playing hard, these girls hope to have their best season yet.

Follow “El Cid Sports” on Twitter to keep up with the Varsity field hockey girls’ season.