Dons romp in annual neighborhood brawl

Jackie Heitman, Sports Editor

Yesterday, an inspired Cathedral Catholic High School’s Dons Varsity football team annihilated the Torrey Pines High School Falcons in the annual neighborhood brawl.

In remembrance of the 14th anniversary of 9/11, and the one-year anniversary of the death of beloved student, Jay Zolina, hundreds of students gathered to cheer on the Dons.

The Dons football team marched in the Falcon’s stadium and showed Del Mar exactly why they own the neighborhood with a 28-14 win Friday night.

Led by an aggressive defense, which included 7 sacs to the Torrey Pines quarterback, the Dons held the Falcons to just 14 points.

The only scoring in the first half was a 16-yard touchdown pass caught by Antoine Lee.

“The student section was awesome,” Lee said. “They were super loud the whole game which kept us into [the game].”

The Dons managed to score 21 points in the third quarter with two touchdown passes by quarterback Tate Haynes. One of his touchdown passes was caught by Hogan Irwin, who also scored a 44-yard rushing touchdown in the third quarter.

The first win of the season for the Dons has created momentum for next week’s game at Helix High School.

Follow @ElCidSports on Twitter for Friday night updates on the Dons Varsity football team.