World Team Tennis intends to improve their skills

Pictured+here+are+some+of+the+players+of+World+Team+Tennis+at+one+of+their+tournaments+

Pictured here are some of the players of World Team Tennis at one of their tournaments

LeeAnne Bates, Staff Writer

Matching up against twenty-three teams this season, the Cathedral Catholic World Team Tennis league had a great season of skill building and fun. Head coach, Ron Marquez said, “It’s a club sport so there is no CIF championship or anything else involved.” The World Team Tennis or Winter League Tennis is a co-ed team, so the fall season girls can stay in shape, and the upcoming spring season boys can have the opportunity to prepare for their season.

Assisted by JV coach, Joe Wesson, these two coaches are prepared for anything. “Anybody can play; you don’t have to be on the tennis team,” said Coach Marquez. Although its hard for a new comer to join the team, there is a policy for welcoming anyone wanting to join.

Senior Elizabeth Ellis lives up to that challenge after playing in a Super Tie Breaker in the season. A Super Tie Breaker occurs when two players tie at the end of their match and must play to determine a winner. Ellis said, “I had never played in a Super Tie Breaker before, and with the scoring and rules being different than a normal tie breaker, I was challenged with these new rules and playing well.” Elizabeth was thankful her hard work paid off when she won her match.

Composed of three teams, the thirty six students are equally divided by twelve on the same level. These teams practice once a week, on Wednesdays, for an hour and a half. On Saturdays, they are rostered for various matches around San Diego County. “Our team consists of starting Varsity players to players who have only hit a tennis ball for a few weeks,” said Ellis. With a wide variety of players, the World Team Tennis, or WTT, has very hardworking players who contribute often.

WTT plays with no clocks, time limits, halves or quarters. Keeping their momentum for up to six hours, the tennis team is working hard to match up against good competition. “Without a time restraint, tennis matches can range from one hour to maybe even three and this is just for one match!” said Ellis.

Making it fun and competitive, boys and girls help each other test their skills and keep up the heat. Ellis said, “I enjoy playing with the boys because they play more aggressively.”

Not competing for a CIF title helps their season remain fun yet competitive. No personal records are required either, so these athletes are just trying to improve their skills. Ellis said, “I enjoy all the fun times we have as a team and the bonding we have as CCHS athletes.”