Dons “exceptional” against Falcons, ready for Lincoln Hornets tonight

Junior Varisty on the field in the fourth quarter of the Scripps Ranch game

Orry Marciano, Staff Writer

Last Friday evening the Cathedral Catholic Dons varsity football team took the field against the Scripps Ranch Falcons in San Diego, California. Going into the game, the Dons were on a five-game winning streak after a close win against Eastlake last week, ending 14-17. The Scripps Ranch Falcons went into Friday night’s game already on a two-game losing streak after playing against Point Loma the week before and coming short with a score of 34-27.

The entirety of the game consisted of several Dons touchdowns and only one score by the Falcons. The first half began with an onside kick by the Falcons, clearly sending out a message to the Dons that Scripps Ranch underestimated their offense. In response to the onside kick, the Dons drove the ball down the field and #25 Adam Eastwood ran it in for a touchdown on the opening drive.

Kicking the ball off to the Falcons, the Dons were able to stop them from gaining a first down of any sort, and soon enough had the ball again. On their second drive the Dons managed to score another touchdown against Scripps Ranch. #10 Clayton Dale successfully drove through his offensive line to score a touchdown, creating a 14-0 lead for Cathedral Catholic.

The Dons chose to kick an unexpected onside kick and unlike the Falcons, were able to recover the ball, giving them another shot at an offensive drive. As a reminder, the Dons were only in the first quarter and the story of touchdowns remains the same for the entire game. The only touchdown the Falcons scored was in the beginning of the second half off of a pass midfield ran to the Dons’ end zone, a score Coach Sean Doyle said they should have, “never given up.”

The Falcons received a major lesson on the effects of doing such shenanigans like their faulty onside kick. By the end of the third quarter the Dons were putting in some of their second string and members of the junior varsity team. Sophomore #8 Tate Haynes took the ball at the 16-yard line and ran it to the end zone for his first carry, putting the Dons in a larger 49-7 lead. Soon after, #44 Daniel Brennan successfully executed a Pick-6, bringing the score to 56-7. In the fourth quarter, the Dons scored their final touchdown of the game and brought in the victory with a final score of 63-7.

The Dons’ season, almost two-thirds of the way through, currently holds a 6 game-winning streak. According to Coach Doyle, “Through all injuries and sicknesses of this season, we have found a way to win” and bringing truth to this statement the Dons have definitely proven so. The players, he adds, “have all stepped up to their roles” including all the back-ups and second string who received an opportunity to play. In the end, he said the game was, “Exceptional, and a great opportunity to get all of our players in. We did a great job on all sides of the ball.”

Taking a 63-7 win against the Scripps Ranch Falcons, the Dons continue their impressive season entering their next game against the Lincoln Hornets with a 6-1 record. Lincoln High School, a team coming off a 20-7 win against the Mira Mesa Marauders, are currently 4-2 and are anticipating another win after three recent wins.

The game against Lincoln finally ends the Dons’ away game series and carries the team into their annual Homecoming game at Manchester stadium. The match-up begins at 7:00 pm this evening and the Homecoming Dance follows tomorrow in the Claver Center.

Be sure to follow @ElCidSports on Twitter for updates on the Lincoln Hornets game and the Dons’ season.