Wrestling team holds their own and comes out victorious

This year, the wrestling team came back “bigger, better, stronger, faster, and more experienced,” according to Coach Jason Gigliotti. The team’s overall record was 3-2, with successful performances from some outstanding team members.

The team’s season was “pretty good,” according to team captain and two-time returning CIF player senior Jacob Watson. “I had a really good start being in the finals of the first tournament,” he said.

Though the wrestling team held their own this season, they were lacking some crucial members from the previous year. “The biggest difference was not having Mitchell January and Cameron Chavez, the captains from last year,” said Jacob.

However, the transition from last year went well, as the team utilized the underclassmen members. “It’s been pretty cool seeing the underclassmen stepping up and filling the empty spots,” said Jacob.

As a senior, Jacob made the most of his last year and came out victoriously. “I ended in the top eight, and was 40-15 this season with 37 pins, tying the school’s season win record and breaking the record for most pins in a season,” he said.

Jacob wasn’t the only successful team member this season as he, junior Brett McElhany, sophomore Noah Danguilan, and sophomore Garrett Seaver all qualified for Masters. At Masters, high school wrestlers, each representing their city, vie for a chance to compete in championships.

Junior Peter Haddad, another standout player, ended the season as one of the top twelve wrestlers in San Diego.

As he is graduating this year, Jacob passed on the team’s responsibility to the underclassmen by giving them advice on how to reach their full potential. “To prepare the wrestling team for next year, I’m just talking to a lot of the kids that will be leading next year and showing them what it takes to lead, giving them confidence in themselves, and helping to coach their matches along with giving them tips to help them continue improving.”