Tight-knit girls tennis team finishes season

After losing a few stellar players from last season, the varsity tennis team was uncertain, to say the least, going into this year’s season. They ended the season with respectably though, making it to CIF quarter finals but finally losing to rival-team Canyon Crest.

“We lost some good players, but we pulled through as a team,” said junior Erika Theony.

A team of mostly juniors, the girls did not have a perfect record this season, but they grew quite close to each other. On half days, the girls often went to Souplantation for team lunches before practices or matches. Bonding over food helped the girls to focus and prepare for matches together, essential for tennis, especially when playing doubles. The top doubles players this season were seniors Katie Wraith and Kayla Javier, who even made it into the league playoffs tournament.

The team had other triumphs as well. “We won a close game against Point Loma in the first CIF round,” said Theony. The Pointers were another rival for the team.

Overall, the team learned from the season and is already thinking about next season. “We’re really looking forward to next year and hoping to improve our season record and become even closer as a team.” said Theony.