Varsity girls volleyball ends season, prepares for CIF

Bump, set, spike! The Cathedral Catholic girls’ volleyball team ended their season with a 3-1 win last Wednesday at Patrick Henry. With an overall record of 16-14 and a league record of 8-2, the girls team this year ranked 111th in the state.

The team averages 11.1 digs per set, 10.6 kills per set, 1.9 aces per set, and has a .200 hitting percentage. They also achieved 166 blocks total and 192 aces overall. Their biggest rivalry throughout the entire season proved to be a 3-2 loss to La Costa, especially as they competed with the added pressure of having the preseason game televised. Another tough turnout involved Scripps Ranch High School. In a 3-2 loss against Scripps Ranch at home, the girls never gave up and, in turn, took the loss heavily to the heart.

However, their best two games were at La Jolla (3-0 win) and Point Loma (3-1 win), both games saw the team’s first occurrences of working together and fighting all the way though to end the games strong.

As the girls completed league games and now face a new chapter in their season. Many look to the players to fulfill the long-standing legacy here at Cathedral. Some think they have just plain given up because of the drastic differences from the past four years to now. But, what many miss is that it takes time to grow together as a team in order to become successful.

Transitioning into a team with many previous players having graduated, the girls this year turned out quite well considering the circumstances. The players gave their all in every game, never giving up on the game and its true values. In fact, just as time is healthy for preparation, so too did it serve well for the Cathedral team as they finished off the league season strong with four consecutive wins.

So, despite what rumors surround Cathedral about the new and waiting to be improved girls volleyball team, they definitely plan and are looking forward to attend this years’ CIF championship rounds. And in fact, the girls are anticipating its return this coming week.

Junior Toire Walsh said “We of course plan to go as far as we can in CIF, so we can have a chance to make it to state, and keep our legacy going.”

The team will focus on exposing their weaknesses that showed throughout the entire season. Ready to practice like never before, the Cathedral volleyballers are ready for more than just a picnic.

Even if it’s a winning percentage of .533% or a 16-14 record, the girls volleyball team won’t budge. They clearly have their eyes set on the horizon that is CIF.