Determined Dons take no team lightly

Determined Dons take no team lightly

The Dons rebounded tremendously following their upending against Saints last Friday. Cathedral took on Mira Mesa in the last home game of the season. The game was played on the Dons’ terms for the entire night.

Junior Drew Cowell and Senior Chris Moliga both had huge nights on the ground, each of them scoring 2 touchdowns. Clayton Dale also had a good night under center, even scrambling 12 yards for a rushing touchdown.

The Dons Defense also had an impressive showing, only allowing two Mesa touchdowns the whole night, one being in garbage time.

Wide receiver, Stephen Rawding eplained the team’s rebound success.  He said,  “We obviously don’t like losing, especially to our rivals. It gave us a fire. We all have the mentality we don’t want to lose another.”

He went on to explain how the Dons are poised for a Dons football first: making a division 1 CIF run. If Cathedral runs the table in the eastern division this year, it will be the first time in school history the Dons have clinched a title at this level. Traditionally, Cathedral operated at a division 3 level. Due to a revision of the division system, however, it is no longer based on the size of the school, but rather their skill.

Cathedral’s season has prepared them to face any challenge, having played teams like Jordan of Utah and Vista Murrieta. Jordan came into the season ranked #1 in the state of Utah with their dangerous play maker, Austin Kafentzis. The Dons shut the Beatdiggers down, only allowing one touchdown on the night. At the homecoming game, Cathedral had to face off against Vista Murrieta, who came into the season ranked in the top 10 both nationally and regionally (California). In a fierce shootout, the defense came up big, forcing a turnover on downs on what would have been the comeback drive of a relentless offensive shootout.

With opponents like Jordan and Vista, it’s no wonder the Dons are so confident heading into their last game of the season versus Serra. Serra is no team to be discounted, being 7-2 on the season and looking to close out with a win. During their last contest against Morse, Quarterback Hunter Correll threw for 173 yards and 3 touchdowns. Linebacker Brandon Archie also had a strong defensive showing, with 7 solo tackles, 3 tackles for loss, a sack, and a forced fumble.

If the Dons can close out against the Conquistadors, running the table will not be out of the question.  Rawding said, “ We can’t take any team lightly, we’ve gotten fired up, and we can come out on top.”

The Dons kickoff at 6:30 at Serra High School and follow @ElCidSports for live updates during the game.