Dons seal victory against Vista Murrieta

Everyday, athletes are faced with a common problem: the favorite and the underdog. There’s always the team with something to prove and the team with something to maintain. This past week, Cathedral proved they deserve to play among the best.

Last Friday, the Dons faced off against the Vista Murrieta Broncos, who were ranked 7th in the nation, for the homecoming game. After playing a tough first half of football, both teams were tied at 21-21 with Cathedral receiving. After a tough loss to Helix the week before, the Dons were very prudent in areas in the second half such as game management, capitalization on scoring opportunities, and time of possession.

Going into the fourth quarter, the Dons were maintaining a tight lead at 35-28 and had possession. After a 3 and out on their possession, the Broncos were faced with an opportunity to score and force overtime. They began driving down the field, looking to make a play. After much playing the Broncos had reached the red zone, the promised land for a juggernaut offense. After 3 unsuccessful attempts to convert for a first down, the game was on the line. Either the defense had to step up and make a stop, or the offense had to make a play. It would be the Dons who overcame on this tight 4th down, with defensive back Casey Toohill making the clutch play by breaking up the pass. With no time outs left, Vista Murrieta knew the game was over. The Dons kneeled out the game, sealing their victory against a formidable nemesis.

“It felt pretty good, knowing last year that we lost, we bounced back. We practiced a lot with the bye week, and we all made it happen,” said senior running back Chris Moliga. Moliga had a career night, rushing 32 times for 169 yards and 4 touchdowns. More performances like this will certainly help put the Dons out front offensively for the remainder of the season.

Tonight, the Dons Face Morse High School. Last year the Dons dominated the Tigers 38-6. They play at Morse in Skyline. Moliga said, “It’s gonna be a good day for us to touch up and execute on what we need to do. It’ll be a good opportunity for other people who’ve been working hard to earn playing time.” He went on the say that for the rest of the season, the Dons will focus on taking things game by game and that their initial goal every year is to make CIF and are hopefully lucky enough earn a bid at state playoffs and represent San Diego.

The Dons kickoff at 6:30 tonight at Morse. Follow @ElCidSports for updates during the game and all other Dons related athletic happenings!