Football team prepared to face the Broncos

In the world of sports, facing adversity is one of the toughest things to do, but one of the most important. Last Friday, the Dons went up against the very even Helix Highlanders. Unfortunately, things did not pan out for them as they had hoped.

A couple of momentum shifting plays put Helix out in front at the end with a 21-16 win. Right before halftime, the Dons were driving down the field for a potential score. The game was tied 14-14 and the offense was looking to make a play.

Quarterback Clayton Dale handed the ball off to running back Chris Moliga. After rushing left for the first down defensive players started to jump on Moliga in an attempt to stop him. After a dog pile formed, the ball came loose from Moliga’s hands. A nearby defender scooped up the loose ball and ran it back for a touchdown, shifting momentum heavily in favor of the Highlanders.

Later in the fourth quarter, after many punts, the Dons were driving again. This time inside the 20, the ball carrier fumbled again, with Helix recovering. The Dons hit the Highlanders hard, scoring a safety on defense. The Dons got the ball back after the safety punt and started driving again.

Within the 20-yard line the offense finally had a scoring opportunity. On a short pass into the end zone, the Dons scored the game winner, but it was unfortunately called back for a holding penalty. After the 15-yard penalty, the Dons lined up again to try and throw one last Hail Mary. Unfortunately, the protection broke down, and Clayton Dale was sacked. The clock ran down and the game was over.

“Our focus is always on the next game, you gotta live and learn. The penalty didn’t lose the game, we had five opportunities to win. You learn from it and move on,” said Coach Doyle. He went on to say how during their bye week they were working on such issues like ball security. He urged that the players should just move on from the loss and not live in the past. The Dons prepare to play Vista Murrieta this week, a newfound rival from the north.

Last year, the Dons played Vista Murrieta on the road at Vista, and despite being ranked higher, the Dons held their own to a tie game until the 4th quarter. This year the Dons play Vista Murrieta at home during our homecoming game. “Their defense is really strong and we gotta hit them hard. If we’re on, start off strong and finish strong, we can win the game,” said fullback E.J. Purifoy about the matchup on offense.

Vista Murrieta is currently ranked 14th nationally and 3rd in California. The Broncos have blown out their last two opponents, beating Downey 66-28 and Yucaipa 52-13. “The kids realized they coulda beat them. They thought they could only play with them. They realized there’s nothing to lose,” said Coach Doyle about last year’s game against the Broncos.

The Dons play Vista Murrieta  today at 7 PM at Manchester Stadium. Follow @ElCidSports for updates during the game. E.J. said, “People should come out and show support. Better we feel about the game, better we’ll do. Rankings don’t mean anything, and if we put our best foot forward, we can win.”