Football team poised to get back on track

Following a tragic end to a very promising season that put a stop to one of the greatest title streaks in Cathedral Catholic history, our Dons football team is poised to get back on track. The team members have a chip on their shoulder this year as they feel like they have something to prove to everyone.

Senior linebacker and three-year varsity player Xavier Ulutu said, “Our Cathedral football team is really tight; to lose something so special to us for the seniors has given us motivation heading into this year.”

The football team has a traditional Thursday dinner before every game and dedicated their last one to the seniors of 2013, guaranteeing vengeance for their fallen team. Offensive linemen Matt Fornaca (2014) said, “Everything we do and work for this year will be for them; this is the best motivation we could ask for.”

Coach Doyle and the players realize that this is a whole new team, not only with a changed attitude but also in personnel. Half of the kids on varsity this year were not apart of the team in 2012 but seem to have adapted well.

Senior Wide Receiver Stephen Rawding (2014) said, “Our underclassmen have truly stepped up and we are already creating a family vibe around the team. I feel like we have been given a great opportunity to bounce back as one of the top programs.”

Overall, the team is excited to get on the field and put our school back on the map as an elite contender in the state. Graduating senior Brandon Michel knows that his teammates will come into this year better and stronger than ever, saying, “Without a doubt, Coach Doyle will have the boys ready to earn the title they deserved last year.”

View Comments (1)
Jackson Clark
Jackson Clark, Staff Writer
Hi everyone! My name is Jackson Clark, and I am a junior this year and am so excited to be on the El Cid team. This is my first year writing for the Cathedral paper, and I love talking to the students around campus and hearing their thoughts on the everyday happenings around the school. I am looking forward to attending a big college in the future and continuing studying Journalism and other types of creative writing programs. I play football, hockey, and golf and can be found leading the cheering section at any event here on campus. Go Dons!

• K

Kevin MulveyAug 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I’m looking forward to the Dons 2013 season. I know Stephen Rawding is going to do great and help lead the Dons to a winning season!

Reply