Track and field comes to a successful end

It has been a long and successful season for Cathedral Catholic track and field. The season is finally beginning to come to a close, and athletes who have qualified will compete in CIF prelims on Saturday, May 18th at Mt. Carmel High School.

The girls 400 relay holds the fastest time in San Diego County, and athletes Hannah Labrie-Smith and Dani Johnson were named sophomore and freshman of the year in the county earlier this season. “Yeah, I guess they’re pretty good,” joked head coach and math teacher Mr. Dan Geiger. “I’m feeling really good about the rest of the season, really positive,” he said.

Coach Geiger has every reason to feel positive, considering the slew of reliable, standout athletes from every grade on the team- equally talented upper and lower classmen. The aforementioned girls record-holding relay team, with a time of 47.99 seconds, interestingly enough is made up of a member of every grade: freshman Dani Johnson, sophomore Hannah Labrie- Smith, junior Megan Pepi, and senior Dana Conlin.

“Dana had a fantastic season and is an awesome leader,” said sophomore long jumper, Sarah Phillips. Phillips qualified for prelims in both the long jump and triple jump, with personal records (PR’s) of 16ft 11in and 34ft 10in, respectively. Expressing the feelings of all of CC’s athletes, Phillips said, “I hope that I can keep PRing and qualify for CIF finals. I’m looking forward to Saturday.”

Come support CCHS track on Saturday at 10am at Mt. Carmel High School.

View Comments (1)
Cassandra Fernandes, Features Editor
A second-year journalist, I have always loved writing. Outside of journalism, I row, teach Sunday School, and lead the Hispanic Club. I am interested in law, kittens, "New Girl," frozen yogurt, football, and I consider myself a tea connoisseur.

• A

adviserSep 22, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Fr. Mike’s email has been sent to you.

Reply