National Signing Day kicks off college careers

Hundreds of early, sweaty mornings in the weight room, summer days spent at dreaded, vomit-inducing two-a-day practices instead of the beach, and even the heartbreak of this past season’s abrupt ending have all culminated in an extremely important day: National Signing Day, the first day that seniors can sign official, binding Letters of Intent for colleges in the NCAA.

Athletes from other sports signed their letters at the Hall of Champions in Balboa Park, but continuing the football team’s tradition since 1996, Xavier Williams, Joey Kuperman, and Garrett Bogart signed their letters at Cathedral with a video crew from KUSI news.

“We’ve had a ceremony like this since my first year coaching here, 1996, and I think it’s awesome. It’s great that after all the time put in, these kids are able to reach the pinnacle of all their hard work,” said Coach Sean Doyle.

The players, along with parents, siblings, coaches, and a few administrators munched on breakfast food, posed for pictures, and joked around. It was a pleasant contrast to just a few months ago, when the same group was gathered in a courthouse with the CIF board.

Bogart, who is now committed to UC Davis said, “Academics were my first priority, but [UC Davis] has a really great coach. ”

Kuperman is excited about CalPoly. “I’m looking forward to a great education and a great football program,” he said.

Williams, who chose Colorado State University, said, “Coach McElwain made a great impression on me. He likes to graduate his players in 3 1/2 years so they can possibly go on and get a masters degree.”

These three are not the only players who will be going on to the next level, though. Some kids still might sign later, like Brandon Michel. Some like Connor Larkin are looking at Division 2 and Division 3 schools, and do not officially sign since only D-1 programs participate in the signing tradition.