Boys Volleyball finds 4th time’s a charm

Boys Volleyball finds 4th times a charm

The Cathedral Catholic boys volleyball team has done it again! On Saturday, May 12, 2012, Cathedral beat La Jolla High School (25-21, 25-20, 25-18) in the CIF Division III Championships. Coached by Ted Torres, the Dons beat the Vikings for the third year in a row. The game was held at the Claver Center.

The Dons boasted many amazing players. Nick Supple, who was Western League Player of the Year, is a lefty outside hitter who played an outstanding match against the Vikings. He had 4 aces and 14 kills. Denis Howell, a middle blocker/outside hitter helped Cathedral by putting up some big blocks. He finished the game with 6 blocks and 7 kills. “We are a hard-working team and bond well together,” Howell said.

The Dons had an 11-man varsity `roster, but pulled up 6 JV players for the CIF games. After their incredible win, the boys went on to compete in state. The Dons journey to state ended too early, however, after a loss to Oak Park High School in the first round. “They were a talented team, but we just didn’t have all our cards in one hand, ready to play,” Howell said.

The Dons finished the season with an overall record of 32 wins and 5 losses. Howell said, “While it is never fun to end a season on a loss, I felt that it was incredible that we sealed another CIF. Many schools were talking poorly on our program because we lost 11 seniors last year. To make them sit down when we rolled over La Jolla in the finals was truly a great feeling and kept the rumors at bay while also establishing our continuing reign over D3 [Division 3].”

See the attached link for a summary video of the Divison 3 CIF Championships between Cathedral Catholic High School and La Jolla High School:  

LIINK