2012 track season begins, athletes break records (slideshow)

Track has started off with a record-breaking season. With five new records already broken, Coach Dan Geiger and all of the individual events coaches may find themselves training some of the best athletes CCHS has seen yet.

Despite lightning, l simulated hawk screeching, or last-minute detentions, each athlete must attend each practice or forfeit his/her chance to participate in the following meet.

Practice  begins by meeting in the middle of Manchester Stadium at the bleachers. Mr. Geiger directs warmups before athletes meet with their individual coaches. So far, this training technique has been successful.

To start, the boys 4×100 relay, featuring Tanner Carter, Grant Zebold, Luke Whitmarsh, and Lucas Lawson, has been named the fastest in the county. Grant Zebold also broke the boys 11 hurdles and the 300 hurdles, proving as a major asset to the team.

Furthermore, Jake Williams conquered the boys 800 and broke a record that has been standing for 30 years. Jake ran each lap at around 58 seconds and achieved a time just under 2 minutes.

Finally, Jady Tolda, pole vaulter and occasional sprinter, soared over a height of 10’8 and broke her previous record of 10’4. The school record as of last year was set by Casey Bui at 9’3.

Regarding the recently broken records, Mr. Geiger said, “The most satisfying aspect of these records being broken is that each athlete deserves the recognitio; their accomplishments are the result of a lot of hard work and perseverance, both in season and during the off season. It is always rewarding when good kids who train hard see the fruits of their labor.”

As for the actual athletes, Grant Zebold, a decathlete, pole vaults and hurdler said, “It’s always good to get the win, but I will occasionally have a bad practice that can be discouraging. However, I know that whether the practice is good or bad, I am still getting the experience that I need to eventually do better.”