Heisman winner Cam Newton practices here for NFL Draft

Cameron Newton, college quarterback and winner of the the Heisman trophy and BCS national championship, has been training here at CCHS in preparation for the NFL combine, where college players do their best to impress  scouts in hopes of being drafted into the NFL in April. Newton is practicing speed and agility drills he plans to perform in the draft , all under the watchful eyes of quarterbacks coach George Whitfield and Hall of Fame NFL quarterback Warren Moon. Both men have been impressed with the progress that Cam has made in the past weeks. Hall of Famer Warren Moon seemed to be very excited about the future of the young quarterback.

He said, “”I just see him improving”— Every day he does something a little bit better than he did the day before, whether it’s taking the snap from center or whether it’s transferring his weight from dropping back to throwing the football. That’s where he’s making his biggest adjustment, to me, is being able to drop back, because that’s something he’s never had to do, and then transfer that weight forward to get velocity behind your throws and also to get accuracy.”

Although Newton is preparing for the traditional NFL combine and ultimately the draft, he held his own Pro-Day, something very different from what other players have done in the past. On February 10, he held a training session that was open to the media. NFL scouts and media from around San Diego and the nation were allowed to observe Newton while he trained. It gave scouts a chance to see the quarterback and make judgments about his abilities and his progress towards becoming an NFL quarterback.

Select students and members of CCTV were allowed to attend the press conference. Newton answered one question from CCTV Sports Anchor Chris Atkinson. Atkinson asked, “If you could give any advice to high school kids chasing their dreams, what would you say?”

Newton, who was cracking jokes and laughing with all the reporters for most of the press conference, replied in all seriousness, saying, “Just keep going, man. Follow your dreams, you know? One thing that is always misunderstood or not taken seriously is [dreaming big]. And sooner or later, if you got this this consistent dream that you want, go for it.”

Newton, who sat on the bench on the University of Florida behind Tim Tebow, knows what it’s like to overcome obstacles.

He said, “Don’t let anybody tell you that you can’t do something, because you are your own man. God has blessed everyone with some type of type of ability to be great at something. Know your calling and be steadfast in everything.”

Warren Moon also had inspirational words for young people that are facing obstacles and adversity.

He said, “Walls can be knocked down and you have to find a way to knock down those walls down. Whether it’s working a little extra hard or doing some things that other guys might not be doing, like hanging out at the mall or playing video games or you’re out there still trying to get better. So, anythings you can possibly do in order to make yourself better, you have to do it when you come up against that wall. If you have people that you can lean on or have people that have been where you want go, that can maybe help you. And don’t feel like you have all the answers.”

Newton, who has been in San Diego since late January, will continue to work with his new quarterback coach George Whitfield Jr. in San Diego at least for the time being.

“How long has it been, George, about a week? I don’t know it’s been like forever, man. I’m out here catching this breeze, waking up in the morning to this sun, man, I’m just blessed to be out here in such a great [environment]. I’m from Atlanta, so it’s really nice. As a matter of fact, I think I’m going to have a surfing party out at the house. (Laughing), everyone is welcome to come,” said Newton.

View Comments (2)

• R

robert ethanFeb 20, 2011 at 5:43 PM

NFL scouts were NOT permitted to attend Newton’s workouts. Though I imagine they viewed the tape. It was nothing special, other than to Trent Dilfer for some reason. Maybe because he and Jay Glazer were allowed to direct the workout by George Whitfield.

Reply
  • S

Sta and Molly PFeb 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Wow! He’s hawt! Great article! Helpful captions!

Reply