Fencing team gets “En Garde” for season (Slideshow)

While Cathedral Catholic’s football and other fall sports are coming to a close, the fencing team is just starting out its season and already preparing for the matches that will require the skill, balance, and quick-thinking of its members. Although the team has only had a few practices so far, their first competition will be held at the San Diego Fencing Center in Escondido on December 12th, where fifteen other teams are planned to be competing as well.

Since last year, the team has boasted an admirable record. The men’s team managed to secure a three-way tie for first place in the San Diego league, but ended with third place after the total number of “touches” were counted. The team was only a few touches away from winning the tournament. The team’s best foilist, Tom Fechtner, who ended up in a five-way tie for first in the foilist division, graduated from Cathedral last year and the team remains with mostly beginners to the sport. Nonetheless, Coach Lee and the team are not discouraged.

“I think we still have a very good chance at first place,” said Coach Lee, who began coaching the Cathedral fencing team last year. “We plan on having very intense practices every Wednesday and Friday, and an optional third practice for conditioning to improve.”

Junior Shayan Emamjomeh, the team captain in charge of organizing practices, said, “I’ve been fencing for about three or four years. I started getting into fencing right after I saw Pirates of the Carribean. And what’s not fun about using swords?”

This lightening-quick sport, entirely based on reflexes and tactics, encompasses the use of three different weapons: the foil, the saber, and the epee, all of which are used by the team. Each one is meant to accompany the fencer’s fencing style, from patient to aggressive. Either way, fencing is hardly a slow sport.

“You always have to be one step ahead of your opponent,” said junior Allison Vincent. “You have to be constantly thinking on your feet and improvising your strategies.”

There are currently sixteen people on the team, but they are still open to new members.

“We could really use some new people, and you don’t need to have experience,” said Coach Lee. Those interested in joining the fencing team should contact Coach Lee at [email protected].

View Comments (1)

• N

NatalieNov 7, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I honestly had no idea fencing was such an intense sport until I actually got to see the fencing team in action! It looks like tons of fun too!

Reply