Track and swim compete at showdown

During the spring sport season at Cathedral, the two largest teams are track and swim.  Track dominates on land, while swim dominates in the water.  However, one question still remains: Which is the better sports team of the two?

The teams set out to find the answer to this question. Track coach Mr. Dan Geiger and swim coach Mr. Jeff Owen devised a competition between the two teams to determine which is the best, deciding on a relay race featuring the upperclassmen members and top athletes from each team.

The competition meant a lot to both teams.  “It was a matter of earning respect.  We both talk about how we are the best, and it was time to back it up,” said senior swim team member Carl Miller.

When it was finally time to compete on Thursday, May 6th, each team was separated into three tiers.  The top tier, called the A teams, featured the top athletes in each sport.  These teams were made up of ten people, five guys and five girls.

The race started with a guy competing for each team.  After the guy finished, a girl would compete and the team order alternated between guys and girls until all competitors finished. The first team to have all members finish the race would be declared the winner.

Each athlete started his or her leg by running 400 meters, which is equivalent to one lap around the track. After running, the person then had to go to the pool, pull off shorts which hid a swimsuit underneath, and swim 100 yards, which is equivalent to four lengths of the pool.

When finished swimming, the team member would tag in the next team member who would then begin a lap around the track. Eventually, the length of the swim was brought down to 50 yards to make it easier for the competitors.

The entire race lasted about 40 minutes, and, in the end, the swim team came out victorious! Although track killed the swim team on land, they could not last in the water. Swim team was able to run their lap in manageable time, but track stars struggled in the water.

So, in the battle of the sports, the swim team prevailed.  When asked to name the star of the swim team, Carl said, “It was a total team effort.  We were all stars out there.”

Both teams looked to finish their seasons strong; some members even made it to individual CIF’s.  The competition was a good way to show the unity of two of the largest teams at the school.

View Comments (1)

• K

KasaraJul 11, 2011 at 2:40 AM

This is the perfect way to break down this informatiaon.

Reply
Track and swim compete at showdown