Sprouts discrimination brings support of a community

He’s worked there for as long as I can remember. Being pushed in the grocery cart as a shy toddler, he was the only one who would take the minute to greet me with his signature smile. I didn’t know what that silly, vague word “different” was referring to, I just knew that he was, without a shadow of a doubt, the nicest bagger in that entire Sprouts Farmers Market.

Ian Rey, born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, had worked at the Sprouts location on Rosecrans Street for about fourteen years. That fourteen years ended abruptly, and arguably unjustly, early this week. Ian was fired because he accidentally grabbed a coworkers black jacket, mistaking it for his own. According to the San Diego Reader, Ian was then convinced by a manager to write an apology letter that was sent to Sprouts corporate office, and accepted as his “admission of guilt.”

Ironically, on their website Sprouts Farmers market claims to be an anti- discrimination organization, stating that they “do not tolerate any discrimination based on race, color, religion, political viewpoint, national origin, age, sex, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other trait, characteristic, or membership protected under applicable law.” However, the old cliche holds true, and in the case of Ian’s firing, the rash actions seem to speak louder than this statement. A rapidly growing Facebook page, “Where’s Ian” was created and an outpouring of support was expressed towards Ian and his family. Many have decided to abandon shopping at the grocer all together.

As Cathedral expands to encompass a range of different mentally handicapped students in next year’s Inclusion program, an issue of discrimination of this sort holds greater significance. This event bodes not only of the challenges to come, but also of the positively wonderful effects that will be experienced too- most noticeably the lessons of friendship and love that can be learned from Ian. Dozens of posts of support on the “Where’s Ian” Facebook page shared common theme of how much Ian has impacted the shoppers and made them smile, just by being himself.

Ian’s sister was quoted in the San Diego Reader as saying, “What we’re hoping for is Ian to get his job back… so his lifeline to the community isn’t cut.”

A protest is being held Friday, May 10th in front of the Sprouts market on Rosecrans Street. Details can be found on the previously mentioned Facebook page. To support Ian’s case, his petition can be signed here.

Also, a letter writing campaign is being organized to express the distress over this situation.

Here is the Sprouts Corporate offices information to send letters:

Sprouts Farmers Market

Corporate Office

11811 N. Tatum Blvd., Suite 2400

Phoenix, AZ 85028