El Cid 5/23/85 California Summer

El Cid 5/23/85 California Summer

Michelle Leonard, Staff Writer

Madonna~ Iron maiden~ Bud Light bicycle Grand Prix~Popular cars~ Possible US involvement in Nicaragua

This El Cid was among the last published during the school year of 84′ to 85′. In effect, this newspaper’s focus was on “California: the state of summer.” The thematic articles included a student from New York’s perspective on San Diego; a female students artistic comparison between and the transition into summer and entering into a new world; and a description of popular California cars, which were Volkswagen bugs and vans at the time.

On the subject of popular culture, there were concert critiques for both Madonna and the British band Iron Maiden. Also, it addressed a Bud Light bicycle Grand Prix in La Jolla. Also for sports, there was an article on drug testing beginning for the San Diego Padres and how the Padres have kept up their class act.

On a political note, a student wrote an article on seemingly imminent United States involvement in Nicaragua to bring an end to communist activity there. Going with the same topic of politics, but incorporating the theme of California summers, an article was published about the Governor of California faults.

There were, of course, articles about various clubs and sports at school. It addressed the beginning of badminton at the school with Mr. Zach Peck as their fearless captain as well as the Academic League, which had a few members at the time and whose biggest rival was La Jolla High. It also talked about the University Unifiers, a club that entertains and sets up performances for the elderly and disabled. This ties into a subsequent article in the newspaper that talked about the school Jesters, aka the drama kids, and described their hard work both backstage and onstage.

Here’s the Link:  5.23.85 El Cid