Exceeding expectations

Eighth graders from throughout San Diego County, including Zachary Talampas and Natalia Dominguez (L-R), experienced a family atmosphere, awards, and high school life this week at the CCHS Leadership Luncheon.

Photo by Eugenia Dominguez-Chaires

Eugenia Dominguez-Chaires, Features Editor

As a way to honor the best of the best from area parochial schools, Cathedral Catholic High School recognized 82 eighth grade students Wednesday in the Claver Center at the 8th Grade Leadership Luncheon, which celebrated the students’ leadership qualities, dedicated service, and amazing talents.

“It’s really such an honor to be able to represent not only my school, but also my faith today,” Our Lady of Grace student David Singley said.

Honored students, who are either nominated by their teachers or by their classmates, routinely exceed their schools’ academic and spiritual development expectations, according to CCHS Director of Admissions Ms. Elizabeth Tysor.

“It’s the perfect opportunity for us to recognize their hard work during seventh and eighth grade,” Ms. Tysor said. “We also tried to incorporate more students into the event which I was able to do with the help of Ms. Mauro, who was in charge of organizing the event.”

CCHS student Kiki Carney ‘18 spoke at the luncheon.

“My hope and prayer is that all you continue to reach your fullest potential as not only role models, but also leaders in everything that you do,” Carney said to conclude her speech.

Current CCHS students were asked to give motivational talks in order to make the eighth grade students and their families feel welcome on campus as a way to excite them about attending CCHS.

“The first thing I thought when I walked on campus was how big it was and how welcomed I felt when I met other students and teachers,” Sacred Heart student Natalia Dominguez said.

At the luncheon, the Mrs. Adrienne Ward Award and the Father Leo Lanphier Award are presented to winning students. These awards, which represent how both educators exemplified the true spirit of Catholic education and leadership, acknowledge the future leaders of the Dons family.

Many of the bright students who were nominated plan to attend CCHS next year. Education and hard work should always be celebrated, CCHS Dean of Academics Ms. Margaret Mauro said.

“I remember crying when I first was told I was chosen to receive the award,” said Alexandria Freeman, a student at St. Martins of Tours. “Mainly, I felt amazed that my fellow classmates thought of me as a leader.”

About the Writer
Eugenia Dominguez-Chaires, Public Relations/ Advertising Manager

Returning to El Cid for the second year, bringing new media aspects and allowing El Cid’s name to shine both within the community and outside the community...