Practice makes perfect, right?

Matthew Bailey

Upon finishing the final show of “The Secret Garden,” the cast bows to an appreciative audience.

Justine Apostol, Staff Writer

For many Cathedral Catholic High School students who are enrolled in the drama program, tech week is a time for steady preparation prior to production of a play, which this year is The Secret Garden, a favorite children’s novel by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

“Tech week is so long!” CCHS student Jenna Viana ‘18 said. “We’re at school everyday until 9 p.m. the week of the play, but it’s worth it because we perfect the show and become more comfortable with it.”

Tech week refers to the week leading up to opening night during which students get costumes together, rehearse lines, block dances on stage, and put finishing touches on the show.

“My typical tech week is going to school and then staying there until 9 or 9:30 at night to run and perfect the show before opening night, “ CCHS student Lauren Allvord ‘18 said. “I also work costumes and make sure everyone has what they need to wear and that Ms. Wilson was happy with how they looked.”

Tech week involves more than just putting together costumes and rehearsing lines and dances, though. Technical elements such as lights, sound, and backgrounds are arranged during tech week as well.

“Tech week is my favorite part of the process of putting on a show, ” Maddie Aldecoa ‘18 said. “I think it’s fascinating to see all the individual parts like wigs, costumes, sets, lights, actors, music, and scenes all come together to make something so intricate and unique.”

Tech week both generates and requires a lot of energy, demanding the best from every person involved in the show.

“Tech week is stressful because you have to practice the show for hours, all while staying on top of your homework,” Kendall DeFillippi ‘18 said. “It’s hard, but so worth it.”

CCHS drama students try to cope with all the stress that tech week brings. Being around your friends makes the week better, according to DeFillippi.

“To destress I usually take a break from homework and talk to friends in the cast,” Defillippi said. “They always put me in a good mood.”

The play runs runs this weekend with four shows, one on Friday at 7 p.m., two  on Saturday at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m., and one on Sunday at 1 p.m. The cost is $15 for adults and $8 for students and senior citizens.