Magical month of must-see events

Kelsey Bacinett

Nearly everywhere around San Diego screams with Christmas cheer and New Year’s revelry, including the tree at the Hotel del Coronado.

Katelyn Gueco, Staff Writer

December has finally made its long awaited appearance, which means listening to Christmas music and decking the halls with Christmas cheer is finally socially acceptable.

San Diegans are digging out their long-sleeved shirts and tight-knit scarves as temperatures across the county dip below 60 degrees Fahrenheit. With the advent of the holiday season, the anticipation and excitement are palpable as Dons everywhere rush to tie up loose ends before the year closes.

In order to keep Cathedral Catholic High School students up to date and informed during this busy Christmas season, El Cid has drafted a list of CCHS and local events  taking place during this magical month.

CCHS Community

Dec. 2: The first Senior Kairos retreat attendees will return, refreshed and ready to begin school again on Monday.

Dec. 3: The Dons varsity football team will suit up and prepare themselves to play Helix High School in the CIF Open Division Finals at Southwestern College in Chula Vista at 7:00 p.m. The boys have been practicing tirelessly in order to take another win against Helix, hoping to gain the title of CIF Open Division Champions.

In addition, the Varsity dance team will perform various routines on Saturday in commemoration of the dawn of the new winter season. The dance team has been putting in extra hours in order to make their Christmas concert a hit.

“We’ve been practicing so long for this concert,” varsity dancer Emi Heisterkamp ’17 said. “The team’s really excited and we hope that everyone who comes to watch will enjoy it.”

In addition, the varsity cross country team placed second in state for the first time in school history, qualifying for Nike Cross Country Nationals. The team’s hard work culminated in receiving the title of State Champions, and the team is nothing but grateful.

“It never dawned on me that we were winning.” one of the team’s top 7 pack members Daniel Robinson ’17 said. “When I crossed the line and they announced that Cathedral was going to Nationals, I was so overwhelmed. No team from San Diego has gone before and it’s such a huge accomplishment.

“We’re all really proud of each other and it definitely is an experience of a lifetime.”

Dec. 6: Under the guidance of Ms. Jessica Swift, various Dons will put on a Christmas performance, displaying their musical talents for all to see. The school band and other willing performers are prepping for the annual Christmas Concert in order to put on a good show.

Dec. 8: For the last Mass this year, the CCHS community will congregate in the Claver Center to celebrate the Immaculate Conception of Mary Liturgy.

Dec. 13 – 16: To round off the school year, finals week tests students on the knowledge they have learned over the past 5 months.

Dec. 19, 2016 – Jan. 4, 2017: Students have time to turn in the last of their college applications and rest during the two-week Christmas break.

CCHS Community and Beyond

Dec. 2-3: Balboa Park will host the annual December Nights festival during the first weekend of December. People from all over San Diego and beyond will flock to the park to see the beautiful display of Christmas lights that adorn the buildings and the giant, decorated Christmas tree in the middle of the park.

Dec. 3: Students from all around the county will buckle down and take the last SAT of the year, readying themselves for college.

Dec. 10: Working to improve their ACT scores one last time for this year, students everywhere will sit down to take the ACT.

In addition to the ACT, the annual Mission Bay Parade of lights takes place on Saturday Dec. 10. According to the parade’s website, it is an exclusively San Diegan event where festively decorated boats will sail around Mission Bay, parading their lights for all of the attendees to see.

Dec. 24: Christmas Eve also marks the start of Hanukkah, which extends to Jan. 1.

Dec. 25: People from around the world come together with family and friends to celebrate Christmas.

Dec. 31: The 2016 year finally comes to a close as people across the globe wait anxiously for the new year, many of them staying up to watch the year change on their phones and clocks.