Victory in Las Vegas for CCHS cheer team

The+Cathedral+Catholic+High+School+cheer+team+poses+with+its+National+Championship+banner+at+the+Jamz+National+Competition+in+Las+Vegas%2C+NV.+This+is+the+first+time+the+cheer+team+has+placed+first+at+a+national+competition%2C+and+its+banner+is+now+displayed+inside+the+Claver+Center+gym.++

Photo by Chris Lucio

The Cathedral Catholic High School cheer team poses with its National Championship banner at the Jamz National Competition in Las Vegas, NV. This is the first time the cheer team has placed first at a national competition, and its banner is now displayed inside the Claver Center gym.

Julia Way, News Editor

It took fewer than three minutes for the Cathedral Catholic High School varsity cheer team to become national champions.

“It was definitely the longest two minutes and 30 seconds of my life,” team captain Alisyn Levandoski ‘16 said. “Our routine really is a combination of stamina, strength, performance and precision. It takes a lot of time and practice to make sure that every single person is in the right spot at the right time.”

Last month the varsity cheer team placed first in the level three co-ed division at the Jamz National Competition in Las Vegas. Though its routine only lasted seconds, the team had been preparing for weeks leading up to its competition.

“We have had practice everyday for nearly a month, and a lot of morning practices,” team captain Gracie Francis ’16 said. “It has for sure been tough, but we pushed through and put our best effort forth.”

The team’s effort secured a first place victory against the five other teams in its division. Its winning routine started with tumbling passes, with each team member taking their turn, showing off everything from cartwheels and round offs to back handsprings and layouts.

Next, the team moved on to jumps, and building a pyramid, the team displayed its stunting abilities. Finally, the cheerleaders tackled the dance portion of their routine before hitting their ending poses in sync. The team was judged not only on its routine, but also on its ability to work the crowd.

“Unlike most sports, cheer routines not only test the athlete’s ability to perform a skill, but it also tests how good they look while doing it,” Levandoski said. “Sometimes it can get a little difficult to remember to smile or wave at the crowd when you are just trying to remember to catch your breath.”

On the day of the competition, the team arrived early at the Orleans Hotel and began to warm up for its routine. With one hour to warm up before its performance, the team stretched and ran through all portions of its routine.

“Warming up backstage is exhilarating,” Team Captain Sisi Chavez ’16 said. “There’s a lot going on as other teams are warming up. You hear the crowd yelling and other teams on the floor competing. Your adrenaline starts pumping and nerves start to kick in, but you have to stay focused on your team.”

The cheerleaders’ triumph was not without trial, as they overcame illness and injury. McKenna Smith ’16 tore a ligament in her shoulder the week of the competition, and her team was afraid she might not be able to compete, but “she took one for the team and pushed through so we could win that title,” Francis said.

The team’s trip to Las Vegas was not “all work and no play,” as the team went out for a team field trip to see the Rascal Flatts perform at the Hard Rock Hotel. Afterwards, it enjoyed dinner at the House of Blues. The team used these moments away from competing to spend some time bonding with one another before the end of its season.

Seniors like Chavez and Levandoski have been competing in the Jamz Competition with CCHS for three years. Taking home the championship title for the first time, the girls are proud to end their high school cheer careers with a big win.

“All of our hard work finally paid off,” Chavez said. “I think it was especially exciting for us seniors knowing that it was our last time performing and that we started a legacy that hopefully the team is able to carry on.”