Dons will soon depart for Central American service trip

Isabella Willyard '17

Last year’s Nicaragua trip students pick up a game of soccer with the Nicaraguan children.

Christopher LeClair, Staff Writer

Sunscreen, camelback backpacks and bandanas are a few items that students attending a service trip to Nicaragua will need to bring with them.

The importance of these items was emphasized this past Wednesday, when Cathedral Catholic High School students, parents and staff gathered in the Guadalupe Center Theater to discuss the upcoming service trip to Nicaragua.

As the leaders of this Christian service trip, Assistant Dean of Students Ms. Alison Purpera and Director of Service Mr. Nicholas Hurt prepared students for the experience ahead, outlining what students could expect in Nicaragua, like sun and mosquitos, and advising students what to pack, like sunscreen, “unmarked” money, bandanas, bug spray, wet wipes and clothes.  

Students and faculty are now ready to depart to Nicaragua on Feb. 13. Ms. Purpera and former CCHS teacher Mr. Kevin Dunn organized the first excursion and service trip to Nicaragua in 2013, and every year since many students have participated in the experience.

“Ms. Purpera actually started the whole community service trip,” Mr. Hurt said. “She did the same thing in her high school, and she wanted Cathedral to do something similar.”

CCHS faculty members Mr. Joe Kilroy and Ms. Christine LaPorte, who teach history and geometry respectively, also will travel with the students, assisting with supervision, special projects and logistics.

Ms. LaPorte is excited for the trip, which she had heard about before she was even a teacher at CCHS.

“When I was applying to Cathedral, the first thing that caught my eye was the Nicaragua trip,” Ms. LaPorte said. “I find it important to learn about what is going on in other communities and to help them in anyway if they’re in need.”

Students attending this trip include sophomores, juniors and seniors, and all are awaiting their departure to Central America.

“I’m excited for pretty much everything,” Olivia Firsching ‘18 said. “I think it’s going to be a great time trying to help out some people in need.”

The students perform important tasks on the trip, ranging from digging water trenches to playing with kids from the villages.  But the trip is not all work and play, as students will participate in a hike a volcano the first on day of the trip.

Supervisors have promised surprises along the road, Ms. Purpera said.

The trip is organized through a charity service called Amigos for Christ (AFC), a nonprofit organization that facilitates water, health, education and economic development in rural Nicaraguan communities. AFC supplies volunteers with bedrooms, beds, food and transportation during their service.

While there are multiple reasons for students to look forward to the trip, some are still anxious about certain aspects of the trip.

“I’m really scared for the fact that I’ll have to go a week without my glasses or contacts,” Emily Dunsford ‘18 said. “I’ll be digging and doing work with bad vision.”

And students are not the only ones with reservations.

“The thing I’m most terrified about are the diseases in Nicaragua,” Ms. LaPorte said. “We had to get shots for chicken pox, hepatitis A and B and malaria.”

Despite the fear, there is ample excitement among the students and faculty, as everyone is expecting a fulfilling experience in Nicaragua.