President’s Student Advisory Council provides student perspective on the issues

CCHS+administration+and+the+new+President%E2%80%99s+Student+Advisory+Council+will+work+together%2C+exchanging+ideas+in+order+to+reach+decisions+in+the+best+interest+of+the+student+body.%0A+

Photo by unsplash.com

CCHS administration and the new President’s Student Advisory Council will work together, exchanging ideas in order to reach decisions in the best interest of the student body.

Sarah Scherer, Managing Editor

The President’s Student Advisory Council is returning to Cathedral Catholic High School as an additional leadership opportunity, providing a way for students to weigh in on the issues facing CCHS.

Mr. Mike Deely, former Principal of CCHS, informally began the student-administration collaboration when he periodically met with a group of students to receive feedback regarding various student-related issues surrounding Cathedral.

When Mr. Stevan R. Laaperi began to serve as CCHS’s President, he himself had a similar idea.

“When I came on as President, because I want to give kids the opportunity to have different leadership possibilities, I talked to [Mr. Deely] and because he was teaching a religion class the time, he asked if I could take over this group he was meeting with regularly.”

The year was 2013, and the informal group of students became the President’s Student Advisory Council. After the 2013-2014 school year, the program was put on ‘pause,’ due to the renewal of the strategic plan.

“Last year we were very busy with the strategic plan, so I had student representatives that served on the strategic planning council,” Mr. Laaperi said. “They were three seniors, and they contributed quite a bit. This year, I want to re-start the Student Advisory Council.”

Students who demonstrate excellent leadership qualities are nominated by teachers to serve on the Council. There is no application process. The purpose of the Council is to be an additional facet of leadership and contact with the administrative side of CCHS. Students chosen to serve will be those who have not been able to break into the traditional campus leadership roles such as Associated Student Body (ASB), Ambassadors for Christ Corps, and Campus Ministry.

Mr. Laaperi expressed his hope that the council will give him an additional student point-of-view, adding to the feedback from already existing leadership groups.

“We want to look at student life, we want to look at student issues, and for me, it also gives me the student perspective from another point-of-view,” Mr. Laaperi said.

One topic brought to CCHS administration by these student leaders in recent years was the food service. Formerly Sodexo, CCHS hired a new food service, CulinArt, as a result of constructive student feedback.

Other topics that are often discussed include school-wide liturgies, spirit days and athletics.

“Pretty much anything that has to do with student life, [the Council] can bring to the table for discussion,” Mr. Laaperi said.

The Council has also impacted change in the transfer student arena, suggesting more events and services become available to involve transfer students in the CCHS community as soon as possible. Administration responded by hosting beginning-of-the-year events and socials for transfer students through the Admissions Office.

This year, Principal Mr. Kevin Calkins invited the transfer students to lunch to engage in conversation as the “new faces” on campus. Mr. Calkins would like to sit in on the President’s Student Advisory Board meetings to get more acquainted with the wants and needs of CCHS students.

The Council is not necessarily comprised of transfer students, but the Council members were able to see the needs of their peers anyway. Mr. Laaperi recognizes this ability as a necessary leadership quality for a position on the Council.

“You have to take a personal perspective, and you have to broaden the scope. Part of leadership is that you see beyond your own needs,” Mr. Laaperi said.

The Council is comprised of two freshmen, two sophomores, four juniors and four seniors for a total of 12 students. Their first meeting was held in November.

Some might wonder, what is the difference between the President’s Student Advisory Council and ASB? ASB is known to work closely with administration for the approval of student events and activities. While ASB positions are filled by student-run elections, some might call it a student government. It is more accurate to say the responsibilities of a traditional student government will be split between ASB and the Council.

“[The Council] isn’t really event driven, this is more issue driven,” Mr. Laaperi said.

The combined student voices of the Council and ASB are expected to provide administration with a broader scope on the student perspective, improving student life at CCHS. With ASB, Ambassadors for Christ Corps, Campus Ministry, and the recent addition to the mix: the President’s Student Advisory Council, Mr. Laaperi expressed excitement for the large amount of student leadership opportunities that have become available at CCHS in the recent years.