Principal Calkins speaks at St. Michael’s Parish tomorrow

The+Holy+Family+Center%2C+left+of+the+main+Church+building%2C+will+host+the+breakfast+and+talk+tomorrow.+

stmichaelschurch-poway.org

The Holy Family Center, left of the main Church building, will host the breakfast and talk tomorrow.

Lauryn Sanchez, Staff Writer

This Saturday, Dec. 12, Cathedral Catholic High School’s Principal Mr. Kevin Calkins will host a breakfast sponsored by Benedictus, an organization for Catholic men, to speak to Catholic men at St. Michael’s Parish.

“It’s an opportunity for guys to talk about what it means to be men of God,” Mr. Calkins said, “I’m also going to discuss my own faith journey.”

As someone who is committed to his faith, Mr. Calkins, a St. Michael’s regular, wishes to share his own experiences with other fathers and sons. Benedictus, a San Diego Diocese approved organization for men, personally asked Mr. Calkins to give the talk this weekend.

“Our purpose and goal is to help Catholic men be more open to the Holy Spirit through a deeper commitment of their lives to Jesus,” Deacon Jim Kostic, Benedictus leader, wrote on the organization’s website.

Having accepted the request, Mr. Calkins will give his talk on Saturday morning in the Holy Family Center next to St. Michael’s Church. St. Michael’s Parish will host Mass at 7:30 a.m. in the Church, and the event will start directly afterwards, lasting until 11:00 a.m.

The talk will be accompanied by breakfast. Male CCHS students are encouraged to attend and to bring their fathers along.

“It’s interesting to hear about my own faith journey. I get asked all the time about it,” Mr. Calkins said, “I respond, ‘Well I’m still on it.’ It’s very different than how it was 10, 20 years ago. We’re all trying to figure it out, and we have to continue to lean on God.”

Mr. Calkins also plans to touch on family life and preserving the faith. For those interested in joining the talk, tickets will be sold at the door for $10 to those over 18 years old and $5 per student under 18.

“I hope they will take some time to see the many ministries of St. Michael’s,” Father John Dolan, St. Michael’s priest, said, though Benedictus is an independent organization.