Fall food drive benefits local community

Photo by CCHS ASB

Food collection bins are stationed by each gate and within Gold 5 classrooms.

Lauryn Sanchez, Staff Writer

This fall, Cathedral Catholic High School students are given the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of the less fortunate by donating to the annual fall food drive, which benefits the emergency services outreach department at Catholic Charities of San Diego.

“It’s important to share the resources the Cathedral Catholic High School community has,” ASB junior class president Kate Garofalo said. “We can make a huge difference by donating some cans or gift cards to help those in our community.”

This year, ASB has paired up with the Catholic Worker Community Club to donate food items to Catholic Charities of San Diego: Emergency Services. The charity is located in Downtown San Diego and assists the homeless.

“Frankly, we don’t have enough,” Sister RayMonda DuVall, the executive director of Catholic Charities, said. “The population of homeless in San Diego is growing and the help is welcomed.”

Specifically, students are encouraged to bring cans of fall food. This includes any items that might be found on the Thanksgiving table such as canned yams, beans and stuffing mix. Gift cards for local grocery stores are also appreciated.

“Our goal is to collect 1,500 pounds of food,” Annalise Castro, ASB junior class historian, said. “The goal is the same as last year’s, which had been heavily exceeded.”

According to Garofalo, ASB is close to achieving its goal.