CCHS students showcase talents at NYC-style cabaret

Justin+Haupt+%E2%80%9915+and+Tina+LaMar+%E2%80%9915+perform+in+a+2014+Cathedral+Cabaret.+

Justin Haupt ’15 and Tina LaMar ’15 perform in a 2014 Cathedral Cabaret.

Sarah Scherer, Managing Editor

The Cathedral Catholic High School drama department presents Cathedral Cabaret, a musical showcase that is more personal than the traditional theatre production.

Throughout history in New York City, cabarets were performed on Monday night – the actor’s night off. The CCHS cabarets give drama students a chance to perform during the “off season” of productions.

“It really gives us the opportunity to showcase more talent,” drama department chair, Mrs. Katie Wilson, said.

The cabaret style also allows drama students to experience a type of performance unique from their annual fall and spring productions.

“The idea is that it’s intimate storytelling,” Mrs. Wilson said.

Drama student Maddie Aldecoa emphasized that performance in a cabaret requires her to focus on connecting to her audience, rather than to a character in a show.

“Cabaret is different from a show because you’re not playing a character,” Aldecoa said. “You’re playing yourself, taking on a song the character would sing, and making it your own.”

Traditionally, a cabaret is a combination of songs and anecdotes, adopting a theme, following a person’s life, honoring a composer or musical group reunion.

“We’ve taken the thematic format, so our cabarets will all have a theme,” Mrs. Wilson said.

Today’s cabaret will showcase classic Disney songs, and it will be performed in the library at 7p.m.

The drama department extends an invitation to families, describing this cabaret as fun and enjoyable for all age groups.