Seniors build community at annual overnighter

Seniors+play+FIFA+at+overnighter.+

Seniors play FIFA at overnighter.

Julia Way, News Editor

With crushed goldfish embedded on the bottoms of their feet, jolly rancher wrappers stuffed in their pockets and music overwhelming their ears, Cathedral Catholic High School seniors departed the Guadalupe Center early Sunday morning after spending time with friends and forging new relationships at this year’s senior overnighter.

“It was a really great way to kick off our senior year by building our class community,” Associated Student Body (ASB) Executive President Matthew Elliot said.

The senior overnighter, an annual event hosted by ASB, provides an opportunity for senior students to foster new relationships in their last year of high school. With college ahead, the seniors look forward to strengthening their high school relationships before they leave for college.

The Class of 2016 senior overnighter, which took place on campus at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, officially began with a celebration of Mass in the Claver Center.

“Mass helped us bond and grow spiritually, just as much as the rest of the night helped us grow our friendships,” senior Jacob Lira said.

After Mass, the DJ, named DJ Psychopath, kept the dance floor alive with music following Mass and up until midnight. Students who were not showing off their dance moves were playing ping pong, video games or cards.

“The best part, though, was definitely the dance party because I got to hit the whip and just have fun with my friends,” Lira said.

While some students were asleep by midnight, many Dons lasted up until the 5:15 a.m. wake-up call. Woken up by the sound of a trumpet by math teacher Mr. Manuel Terzoli, seniors cleaned up the Guadalupe Center and waited for their rides home by 6:00 a.m.

Though many students felt sleep-deprived Sunday morning, seniors left feeling like they got to spend some quality time with their class.

“Just being together with all of our classmates and friends was the best part of the senior overnighter,” senior Rachel Sellner said.

The students next opportunity to build community is this weekend’s homecoming game and dance.