Multiple cases of head lice bring Senior Overnighter event into question

Cole Parsons, Photo Editor

After gearing up weeks in advance for the Senior Overnighter on Saturday, Cathedral Catholic High School seniors are being told they may have to wait a bit longer for the annual event due to a recent lice outbreak.

A school-wide email announcement from Principal Mr. Kevin Calkins was sent earlier this afternoon.

“Anyone can get head lice. It is spread mainly through direct head-to-head contact but also from sharing hats, brushes and other personal items,” Mr. Calkins said in the email.

Fear of lice contamination has caused some students to become wary about the class-wide sleepover.

“I might still go to the Senior Overnighter, but the lice outbreak has made me seriously reconsider. I don’t want to have to shave my head if I get lice,” senior Ben Fischer said.

The Associated Student Body (ASB), however, remains confident as the event approaches.

As far as plans for Saturday go, “We’re not sure yet. We have to discuss [the situation] with the administration, especially the nurse, and with Mr. Filippone to see what’s the best plan of action,” Jane Mezzino, ASB Executive Secretary, said.

John Granahan, Commissioner of Clubs for CCHS ASB, added that seniors should not worry. In the event of cancellation, he says ASB will figure something else out.