Library Moderator Mr. Chuck Gustafson plans to retire at end of school year

Mr. Gustafson poses with a chart that outlines part of his life philosophy.

Nicole Askar, Staff Writer

After six years at Cathedral Catholic High School, Mr. Chuck Gustafson will retire from his current position. Mr. Gustafson worked in the Learning Center for his first five years at CCHS, and this year, he worked as Study Hall Moderator in the USDHS Library.

Twenty years ago, Mr. Gustafson started a consulting firm and he now plans to redirect his attention to it. He is excited for the next chapter in his life and said, “It’s about calibrating my time more the way I want to spend it and less how others want me to spend it.”

Although Mr. Gustafson spent the latter portion of his career teaching, Mr. Gustafson also spent 22 years working in the Navy Supply Core. When he retired from the Navy, he spent over 30 years working in the business world. In spite of his success as a businessman, Mr. Gustafson sought a more fulfilling career, opting to become a teacher.

After a few years teaching math for the San Diego Unified Public School District, Mr. Gustafson took an early retirement. With the free time that became available, he decided to teach at Cathedral’s Learning Center. Mr. Gustafson felt very comfortable teaching at CCHS.

Mr. Gustafson loved the personal interactions he had with students in the Learning Center, helping them to understand their classroom material better.

Senior Catherine Smedley said, “I was never in Mr. Gustafson’s class, but he always asks me about my college sweatshirts. When he found out I was going to college in upstate New York near where he grew up, he was really excited.”

Mr. Gustafson dedicated his time to helping students create plans and achieve their goals. Mr. Gustafson’s method consists of imagining the final goal and figuring the steps that would come before that goal. He firmly believes that with conscious effort in one direction, people can achieve their goals and reshape their future. As a consultant, he will also be helping his clients create a plans and achieve their goals.

Said Mr. Gustafson, “You can’t determine your future, but you can shape it and influence it.”