ASB hosts Blood Drive, helps those in need

Sarah Scherer, Staff Writer

Our Associated Student Body (ASB) is hosting a Blood Drive through San Diego Blood Bank this Friday, March 20th. Appointments will be scheduled between 7:30am and 12:45pm, and the event will take place in the foyer of the theatre.

In preparation for giving blood, it’s important you treat your body right. According to Mrs. Lagrimas, “people who tend not to eat, or who haven’t eaten a sufficient breakfast, have a much higher likelihood of passing out.”

Be sure to wake up a bit earlier on Friday and treat yourself to a wonderful breakfast feast. Avoid foods high in fat, and consume a healthy amount of iron during the 24 hours prior to your appointment. Also, don’t forget to bring some form of photo identification, such as a driver’s license. Follow these guidelines and more found on the link at the bottom of this article to ensure a safe and successful blood-giving experience.

Why would you give blood? Junior Jane Mezzino, ASB Director of the Blood Drive, said, “I would give blood because blood transfusions are often necessary for people undergoing medical procedures, as well as in crisis situations.” Certain medical procedures are a part of people’s everyday lives. According to the American Red Cross, “sickle cell disease affects more than 70,000 people in the United States, and about 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.” Additionally, “more than 1.6 million people were diagnosed with cancer last year.” Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment” (American Red Cross.) In more traumatic situations, such as car accidents, an injured person can require as many as 100 pints of blood.

After donating blood, it is likely you will feel weaker due to an iron deficiency in your body. However, after a day or two of feeling ‘less than prime,’ you will have given three other people the gift of life. You have the capability of being a hero – it’s in your blood to save lives, literally.

http://www.sandiegobloodbank.org/donating-blood