Solidarity lunch to help benefit Operation Rice Bowl

Monica Inoue, Staff Writer

While walking to class after skipping both breakfast and snack, your hands clench your stomach to muffle the growl, and you wait patiently for lunch time to come.   As a Catholic, you wonder why you might have to fast—eating just one meal and two small snacks— even if it is just for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, and abstaining from meat on Fridays during Lent. After eating your meatless lunch, you continue about your day like you normally would.

During this time of Lent, Catholics are called to pray, give alms, and fast. As a part of fasting, we abstain from meat and limit our meals. We fast to show our solidarity with other people who have a lot less than we might have.

In support of the 2.8 billion people in the world that live on just $2 a day, Cathedral Catholic High School will have a Solidarity Lunch on Friday, February 27. The lunch will consist of a simple plate of rice and beans for $2, but students and parents are encouraged to donate more. Rice bowls, made from Ms. Wiedmann’s ceramic class, will also be for sale. The money from this event will be donated to support the inner-city Catholic elementary schools and Operation Rice Bowl.

The $2 will cover the basic cost of rice and beans, “but we want students to donate more like $2.50, $3, what you might typically spend at lunch that day, maybe even $5-6 for a meal. You could just say, you know what, I’m going to use that extra $4, and it’s going to go to the inner city Catholic schools and Operation Rice Bowl, which is part of Catholic Relief Services,” said Director of Campus Ministry Practicum Service, Mr. Kevin Dunn.

The luncheon was inspired by last year’s solidarity dinner. Mr. Dunn, who is directing this lunch, has conducted a solidarity dinner of rice and beans at a previous school. A solidarity meal, sometimes called a hunger banquet, is a way that people come together and fast during Lent. “People are potentially trying to eat, think, and act as though they are someone that is hungry. It can help people empathize with what other people are going through,” said Mr. Dunn.

Mr. Dunn asked religion teachers to survey their student and see how many were willing to participate in the lunch. Over 430 students said thst they were interested in buying the rice and beans. Although the line may be long that day, Mr. Dunn encourages students to stick with it and support the cause.

“The goal is, in a sense of solidarity, to stand in line, wait your turn to get the rice and beans, have a conversation with your friends, and show that you are committed to this idea of Catholic social teaching that everybody is our brother and sister, and we should care of them,” said Mr. Dunn.

Sodexo will provide the beans and rice, the Campus Ministry Service class will direct the traffic, dish out rice and beans, sell the bowls, and help parents find the location, and everyone else can show their solidarity by purchasing a plate and supporting this cause.