Fall Rally started homecoming weekend with a “splash”

Fall Rally started homecoming weekend with a splash

Nicole Askar, Staff Writer

Last Friday, the Associated Student Body (ASB) put on the ‘Under the CC’ Homecoming Rally, a play on “Under the Sea.” The theme was chosen at the end of the 2013-2014 school year, and ASB’s Commissioners of Activities, Isabella Dohil and Anthony Otjens, had the task of bringing the idea to life.

Isabella said, “When it comes to the rally, we are constantly changing our plans and readjusting our ideas.” For this particular rally, ASB focused on creating an atmosphere that would get students excited for not only the rally, but also for the rest of homecoming weekend. The ‘Under the CC’ theme gave ASB the opportunity to be creative. Some of the decorations included paper lanterns resembling sea creatures and posters reminiscent of Spongebob Squarepants and Finding Nemo. The gym’s usual lights were turned down low, and colored lights were displayed to make it seem as though the rally was really ‘under the sea’.

As students stampeded into their respective sections in an attempt to get the best seat, dance music was playing, making people excited for the rally to come. The music eventually turned down, and the rally officially began with a prayer lead by Father Kelly, who prayed for a safe and fun homecoming weekend and for the freshmen to be welcomed into the community (inciting the booing of upperclassmen.)

ASB Executive President and Vice President, Marika Vigo and Remy O’Donnell, welcomed the students to the rally and introduced the Cheer Team. After a dynamic cheer routine, the competition between the classes began. This year, instead of a relay race, the competition consisted of knocking down a tower of cups by throwing balls at the tower from ten feet away.

Then, the fall sports teams were recognized at the rally through their representatives. All of the teams participated, except for the volleyball team, which was at a tournament in Arizona.

The last team to be recognized was the football team, whose representatives introduced the beloved “Mance” team – football players who dance to popular music, inciting excited cheers from some starry-eyed female students. Then, the Dance team performed a spirited routine, concluding the rally’s scheduled performances.

Afterwards, the crowds participated more in the rally. Each class did the “Our House” cheer, screaming in an attempt to outdo the other classes. The entire school then cheered together that they were “proud to be a CCHS Don.”

The rally came to a close after a megaloDON appearance. This year, the senior class opted to be creative with their annual rally antics. The Sea of Red came up with the idea to have a ‘swimmer’ get attacked by a ‘shark’, hence the megalodon. When the swimmer was attacked, all of the seniors took off blue shirts to reveal red shirts. This action was meant to represent the sea becoming red with blood.

Be sure to attend the mini-rally ASB is hosting today, October 24, at lunch in preparation for the Holy Bowl.

To watch highlights from the rally, click here.