Improv Club aims to become student-run troupe

This year our school added a new club to the varieties of clubs we already have. It’s not a cultural awareness club, and it has nothing to do with math. The new club is Drama Improv. If you don’t know what improv is, go watch the Family Guy Episode “Spies Reminiscent of Us” on youtube. After you watch it, you will understand.

But unlike Peter, Quagmire, and Joe, our new drama improv team has more talent, and hopefully will have more success.

In October 2013 drama teacher Ms. Katie Wilson was approached by the National Comedy Theater and was asked to join the league. Ms. Wilson jumped on the chance, and even though she realizes this team is at a primitive stage, she knows they will be successful. Drama Improv is technically considered a club, but Ms. Wilson says, “It’s not a club, it’s more like a troupe.” By the end of the year Ms. Wilson wants to get this troupe ready to take on CCA’s drama improv team, and be student run.

According to Ms. Wilson you don’t have to be an amazing actor to join Drama Improv.

“It’s hard to improvise, even good actors at this school have trouble improvising,” said Ms. Wilson.  To join Drama Improv, you really just have to be able to have fun and be well read; having a wealth of subject matters will help, too. The only thing you can’t do in Drama Improv is say “NO.”

Right now the Drama Improv team only has a small membership and is made up of mostly sophomores and juniors. . Anyone in any grade can join.  According to Ms. Wilson, the two people who are leading the Drama Improv team are two juniors, Tina and Kaitlin Lamar.

Drama Improv is a great way to express yourself and be able to be silly and just have fun. But Ms. Wilson said it is a huge commitment. “Anyone can join, but we really need people who can dedicate to come every Friday after school.”

If you’re still not sure about joining Drama Improv, their first public event will be in January in the theater. Keep checking El Cid for the exact date, time, or price of admission.