Hispanic Culture Club celebrates the Day of the Dead

‘Día de los Muertos’, or ‘Day of the Dead’, is a widely celebrated holiday in Mexican culture that takes place internationally around November 1st and 2nd. The holiday has festive practices, but the primary focus is the gathering of families and friends to pray and remember deceased loved ones.

According to Hispanic Cultural Awareness Club moderator Mr. Kevin Dunn, the Day of the Dead “is a celebration of the life of the person who passed away.” Mr. Dunn said that this celebration is “playful and happy” for the friend or family member who has died, so that he or she may enjoy the afterlife.

As a part of this celebration, private altars honor the deceased with sugar skulls, marigolds, food and beverages to celebrate. Mr. Dunn said, “It is common to decorate grave sites with favorite items of the deceased.”

In honor of this widely celebrated Mexican holiday, the Hispanic Cultural Awareness Club will have an altar set up in front of the Guadalupe Center theatre, in the foyer directly in front of the statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe. The altar will be displayed this week, honoring those who have died in a unique and culturally distinctive way.