Art Show showcases artists’ talent

Art Show showcases artists talent

Imagine a plethora of artwork in every mode imaginable, tables upon tables of fine desserts, and the soft sounds of contemporary jazz resonating in the background. Some might describe this as an overpriced art museum, but they would be wrong. This was Cathedral Catholic’s Annual Art Show, which took place on May 22. Characterized by an abundance of pieces, aspiring artists, proud parents and curious onlookers alike gathered in Guadalupe Center, observing the art created entirely by students throughout the school year.

“The art show is full of unique paintings with different meanings,” said sophomore Jamie Jay. “It’s amazing to observe them and see how students are expressing themselves through art. It gives some insight as to what their mindsets may be.”

The experience of having art on display proved to be a rewarding feeling for the young artists. Junior Anna Horne had a watercolor landscape on display. “It’s really exciting to show everyone my potential and what I am capable of creating,” she said. “It’s a great honor to be featured among people with so much talent.”

Talent was evident, as people observing the art were visibly impressed. “I never knew that so many of my friends had this much talent!” said senior Ali Bentin. “Seeing their work displayed in this kind of a setting gives me a whole new appreciation for what they do.”

The art show traditionally features work from the Beginning Art, Arts 1-4 and AP Studio Art classes. However, this year found some new additions. Both the 3D Design (formerly known as ‘Ceramics’) and AP Art History classes were able to participate.

Ms. Silvia Wiedmann, AP Art History, AP Studio Art and Arts 1-4 teacher said, “It’s really exciting to see all the hard work the students put in come together. This year, my AP Art History students created a mini model gallery featuring different periods, entitled ‘An Ode to the Muses’. For their first year, I think they did a great job.”

“The art show used to only feature 2D paintings, collages, and other pictures of the like, but this is the first year that 3D art participated,” said 3D Design teacher Ms. Alyssa Vallecorsa. “We made it a requirement that everyone would have to submit something, and although many of my students were initially hesitant, I think it all paid off.”

3D design student, senior Ryan Parinas, had a ceramic lantern on display. “I didn’t think that I would be able to make anything worthy of display in an art show,” he said with a laugh. “But after seeing my work featured…it’s just really nice to have others see it. It gives me a sense of appreciation and makes me feel accomplished.”

“A lot of my students would watch demonstrations in class and think that no way would they ever be able to make art that looked like that,” said Ms. Vallecorsa. “But by the end of the project, they would exceed both their own expectations and mine. The best part of the show is being able to let everyone else see how much these students have progressed and achieved in just a few short months.”

“To be able to see art of this quality is like going to a real-life gallery!” said Anna. “However, it’s even better because not only is it free, but you are getting a glimpse of the artists of tomorrow, like a preview of our future ‘Warhol’s and Monet’s.’ I look around at all this art and know that some of these kids have very bright futures ahead.”