Christian Service changes announced

As the school year comes to a close, many students and teachers are anticipating the changes that are to come with the next school year. A lot of these changes are happening with the Christian service hours.
Currently, freshmen are encouraged to achieve their Christian service hours by serving the poor and disadvantaged, and the sophomores are encouraged to achieve their Christian service hours by helping children.
To live this out next year, freshmen will again be serving at St. Vincent DePaul. For a change, “Sophomores will be serving at inner-city Catholic schools,” said Ms. Dawn Brannman, Director of Christian Services and History of Christianity Teacher. Sophomores will be serving these schools with their LIGHT groups and will fulfill some of their Christian service hours.
In addition to a change in service opportunities, LIGHT groups will also be changing. LIGHT group meetings this year were planned to make the amount of red and gold LIGHT group schedule days equal. Next year, students will meet with their LIGHT groups every last Tuesday of the month.
“We just decided to make it easy,” said Mrs. Brannman.
Students, especially freshmen, have responded well to the addition of LIGHT groups this year. Freshmen LIGHT groups have a special bond because they will be the first class to be with their LIGHT groups for four whole years. “They spent their first day here at the school together,” said Mrs. Brannman.
As well as changes in Christian Service hours and LIGHT groups, the Campus Ministry department will be adding a new class, Campus Ministry Service. This class will focus on “planning LIGHT groups, the Advent Drive, and the Lent Drive,” said Mrs. Brannman.
Also, this class will serve as a support for students. They will be helping the Cathedral Catholic community by helping, praying, and sending letters to students in need.
Next year, students can look forward to new and better ways to serve their community through faith.